Ebosele - starting XI when fit?

TheHomunculusLives

He's still very raw, but in the few games he played at the start of the season, I felt Ebosele offered us something no-one else in the team currently has: the ability to beat a man through sheer pace.

Should he be in the starting XI when fit, or is he more of a bench option? And is he a full-back/wing back, or a player to be used further forward?

Kornell is a good young player. But I believe all the young players on the fringe of it are good prospects. The Sheffield United and the Salford games are evidence of that. 

What I would say is full back is probably the most likely position on the pitch that you may accelerate someone’s progress and the most likely position a player may get his chance early…..followed by Centre Forward where everything is instinct based and pace and aggression will always be a threat regardless of technical / tactical abilities. 

That’s not a criticism it’s just far more likely a young full back will get opportunities than a young centre midfielder or young centre back where responsibility, exposure and consequence  is at its highest level. 

I think Ebosele is a wing back primarily, gives him chance to shine both defensively and in breakaway attacks. Unfortunately we don't play with a back three.

My second choice would be as a full back. I actually think he has the potential to be a much better full back than Byrne as he has a great tackle and doesn't get caught out of position as often as Byrne.

I don't think he's a winger but can understand why he's being used that way as an impact sub as he has pace to burn against tired defences.

Would I start him? Probably soon.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think Ebosele is a wing back primarily, gives him chance to shine both defensively and in breakaway attacks. Unfortunately we don't play with a back three.

My second choice would be as a full back. I actually think he has the potential to be a much better full back than Byrne as he has a great tackle and doesn't get caught out of position as often as Byrne.

I don't think he's a winger but can understand why he's being used that way as an impact sub as he has pace to burn against tired defences.

I agree - I think Ebosele has the natural gifts to be a very good modern wing back/full back and has a higher ceiling than Byrne or indeed Bogle who broke through at a similar age. Establishing himself ahead of Byrne will be difficult as Byrne is undoubtedly one of our better players right now, but he looks a real prospect to me.

6 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

He's still very raw, but in the few games he played at the start of the season, I felt Ebosele offered us something no-one else in the team currently has: the ability to beat a man through sheer pace.

Should he be in the starting XI when fit, or is he more of a bench option? And is he a full-back/wing back, or a player to be used further forward?

I really rate festy. Saw a brief cameo in one of the pre season friendlies .. got a touch, got feet, pace, determination and  power with a capital P. Not seen enough to judge decisions/vision/passing but he’s young and I can’t wait to see and learn more.

Starter deffo… Then add in a sense that he is one of those players with a big heart and plays with a smile. Top prospect for me and I don’t think attacking wing back will be his best position. … Up the pitch running at defenders central or otherwise, creating havoc.  

7 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Bench. 

He was decent against Salford, but that's a league 2 team. Not ready for championship my opinion. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Not sure about the positioning claim tbh. Against both reading and peterborough he was constantly out of position, it was especially bad against peterborough when in the first half he did leave Byrne high and dry positionally that led to their best openings coming down that flank. 

He's an odd player as defensively I don't love the look of him but going forward apart from the pace he doesn't have much in his locker either. His control and vision in the pass don't seem to be particularly great and against Peterborough we saw his predictability ensure a lack of effectiveness. I'd give him the odd 20 minutes but atm I'd say it's too soon for him to be playing a major role.  

21 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure about the positioning claim tbh. Against both reading and peterborough he was constantly out of position, it was especially bad against peterborough when in the first half he did leave Byrne high and dry positionally that led to their best openings coming down that flank. 

He's an odd player as defensively I don't love the look of him but going forward apart from the pace he doesn't have much in his locker either. His control and vision in the pass don't seem to be particularly great and against Peterborough we saw his predictability ensure a lack of effectiveness. I'd give him the odd 20 minutes but atm I'd say it's too soon for him to be playing a major role.  

I think his final pass is his biggest weakness, tbh. If he can improve on that he can go all the way.

My comments about his defensive abilities are admittedly based on his under 23 performances,  which are more numerous than his first team ones by far. Having said that, Byrne's positioning is often far from perfect!

21 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think that’s quite an astute / accurate summary if I’m honest. I think plenty are in danger of judging too favorably too soon having seen too little and can be blinded by the perception exciting pace gives rather than a more practical view. 

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think his final pass is his biggest weakness, tbh. If he can improve on that he can go all the way.

My comments about his defensive abilities are admittedly based on his under 23 performances,  which are more numerous than his first team ones by far. Having said that, Byrne's positioning is often far from perfect!

His first touch and overall control of the ball I think needs quite a bit of work. The final pass is not just technique either but I'd say having the football intelligence to see it which he does lack a bit too which links in to his struggles positionally. Byrne isn't perfect positionally but he's much better than Ebosele in this sense from what I've seen in his first team appearances. 

I think the coaching staff need to decide where they want to play him and stick with it. If they want him as a more defensive player they'll need to work on different things than if they want him really to be an attacking winger. Currently, he looks like a player who has a bit of the skillset for each position but doesn't look great in either role at this level yet for me which is why I said he's an odd one. 

He's a player that needs to be carefully moulded i think before he can really do a good job at this level and it's probably better to do that on the training pitch and the odd 20 minutes than starting regularly. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

His first touch and overall control of the ball I think needs quite a bit of work. The final pass is not just technique either but I'd say having the football intelligence to see it which he does lack a bit too which links in to his struggles positionally. Byrne isn't perfect positionally but he's much better than Ebosele in this sense from what I've seen in his first team appearances. 

I think the coaching staff need to decide where they want to play him and stick with it. If they want him as a more defensive player they'll need to work on different things than if they want him really to be an attacking winger. Currently, he looks like a player who has a bit of the skillset for each position but doesn't look great in either role at this level yet for me which is why I said he's an odd one. 

He's a player that needs to be carefully moulded i think before he can really do a good job at this level and it's probably better to do that on the training pitch and the odd 20 minutes than starting regularly. 

I think you're totally wrong. ?

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

He often uses his pace (why woudlnt you when you have it?) but he also dances around players at U23 level. Once he believes he can do it at first team level we'll see a lot more of it.