Can we assume MM is a rich man

Curtains

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Haven’t read the whole thread but in simple terms surely the best solution is for Mel to sell the club for a £1 instead of wanting £40 mill and then the new owners use the funds they would have paid Mel to pay off a lot of the debt....or is that too simple? I can’t see many potential new owners being prepared to have to pay for the privilege of taking on massive debts, doesn’t make sense...

Mel would have to halve the debt first IMO 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Haven’t read the whole thread but in simple terms surely the best solution is for Mel to sell the club for a £1 instead of wanting £40 mill and then the new owners use the funds they would have paid Mel to pay off a lot of the debt....or is that too simple? I can’t see many potential new owners being prepared to have to pay for the privilege of taking on massive debts, doesn’t make sense...

I think Mel only wants £5m and them to take on the debt.

Just now, Curtains said:

Mel would have to halve the debt first IMO 

But what difference would that make, they would still be putting the same amount in wouldn’t they, say £40 million....it would just pay off most of the debt rather than go to Mel. Mel would then be free of propping up a loss making football club and the new owners would own just about a debt free football club ?

Just now, Curtains said:

Who would do that ! 

Well for some, the figures being spoken of aren’t large when you consider the money which exists in the premier league.

The new owners will probably be looking to make money from businesses outside the ground as well as inside and I imagine will want to use the stadium for other attractions like music events.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But what difference would that make, they would still be putting the same amount in wouldn’t they, say £40 million....it would just pay off most of the debt rather than go to Mel. Mel would then be free of propping up a loss making football club and the new owners would own just about a debt free football club ?

I’m not sure how you can’t see the difference ?

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Well for some, the figures being spoken of aren’t large when you consider the money which exists in the premier league.

The new owners will probably be looking to make money from businesses outside the ground as well as inside and I imagine will want to use the stadium for other attractions like music events.

Well GSE  never ever looked like doing that. 

The new owners would need massive pockets. 

Explain to me then ?

Well if you are buying something in debt say 40 Million debt and paying 40 you have nothing left for investment plus you are paying  possibly higher  bank loan fees or reducing your collateral to make money with the other 20 investment in certainties.

If Mel halves the debt to say 20 you have lowered your gamble in everything and you have more to spend on say players etc 

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You could ask that of anyone buying a football club...there is potential at Derby if the club is run and managed well. Look what Leicester have achieved....

Anything is possible with the right people of course.

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well if you are buying something in debt say 40 Million debt and paying 40 you have nothing left for investment plus you are paying  possibly higher  bank loan fees or reducing your collateral to make money with the other 20 investment in certainties.

If Mel halves the debt to say 20 you have lowered your gamble in everything and you have more to spend on say players etc 

But say the club was debt free, they would have to have paid the 40 mill to Mel to buy the club and still had to have found extra to invest in the club, swings and roundabouts surely ? As things stand I can’t see anyone paying Mel millions for the privilege of taking on the debt. However if they buy the club fora £1 and use the funds to clear most of the debt I can.....

But say the club was debt free, they would have to have paid the 40 mill to Mel to buy the club and still had to have found extra to invest in the club, swings and roundabouts surely ? As things stand I can’t see anyone paying Mel millions for the privilege of taking on the debt. However if they buy the club fora £1 and use the funds to clear most of the debt I can.....

Massive gamble mate and thats the nail hit on the head. 

Massive gamble mate and thats the nail hit on the head. 

I agree, I don’t understand why anyone would want to buy a football club. But getting Derby for 50 mill and being debt free might seem appealing to some.....

I agree, I don’t understand why anyone would want to buy a football club. But getting Derby for 50 mill and being debt free might seem appealing to some.....

Of course. 

I assume you mean getting Derby for 1 pound and taking on the debts and then still having enough money to pay the day to day running costs with limited crowds and invest in players etc. 

Hope it happens in some way shape or form .

It is feasible 

Of course. 

I assume you mean getting Derby for 1 pound and taking on the debts and then still having enough money to pay the day to day running costs with limited crowds and invest in players etc. 

Hope it happens in some way shape or form .

It is feasible 

Yes, that’s surely the only scenario as far as I can see ?

3 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

If someone got hold of the club, debt free, I presume it's only debt free for a week or two, and then the debt starts building again. 

Yes, but in a more manageable way. Hopefully post Covid we can get a more sustainable plan in place moving forward....not going to be easy agreed...

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, that’s surely the only scenario as far as I can see ?

No the other way is for Mel to reduce the debt before he sells for 1 pound.

Doesn’t look like he wants to contemplate that scenario at the moment allegedly.

Archived