Paronomasia

FindernRam

Far too much of this on this site. But you learn something everyday.

The pun, also known as paronomasia, is a form of word play that exploits multiple meanings of a term, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect. These ambiguities can arise from the intentional use of homophonic, homographic, metonymic, or figurative language. A pun differs from a malapropism in that a malapropism is an incorrect variation on a correct expression, while a pun involves expressions with multiple (correct or fairly reasonable) interpretations. Puns may be regarded as in-jokes or idiomatic constructions, especially as their usage and meaning are usually specific to a particular language or its culture.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

The pun, also known as paronomasia, is a form of word play that exploits multiple meanings of a term, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect. These ambiguities can arise from the intentional use of homophonic, homographic, metonymic, or figurative language. A pun differs from a malapropism in that a malapropism is an incorrect variation on a correct expression, while a pun involves expressions with multiple (correct or fairly reasonable) interpretations. Puns may be regarded as in-jokes or idiomatic constructions, especially as their usage and meaning are usually specific to a particular language or its culture.

If you have a lot of spare time on your hands my lawn needs mowing.

?

16 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So does mine but: (pick any 2 from 12)

Its too: Wet, Dry, Cold, Hot, windy, dusty, dark, sunny, long, green, brown, mossy.

If you like puns, take a look at Clerihews ... (good wiki page)

Sir Christopher Wren
Said, "I am going to dine with some men.
If anyone calls
Say I am designing St. Paul's.

15 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Seriously, everyone has had enough of your homophonic attitude. It's almost like you protest too much.

Archived