Billy's got 4 'Stella' signings in the bag

Day

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! who's nicked one of my STELLA's from the fridge?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/09/2063090/official-west-bromwich-albion-complete-signing-of-aston

West Bromwich Albion manager Roberto Di Matteo has strengthened his defensive options ahead of the new Premier League season with the signing of Nicky Shorey from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee.

The former England international has penned a two-year contract at the Hawthorns with an option of a further year.

Shorey signed for Aston Villa in 2008 after an impressive seven years at Reading under Alan Pardew and then Steve Coppell where he made over 300 appearances.

The left back was an ever-present in the Royals promotion to the Premier League in 2006, and his form continued to blossom the following year which earned him an England call-up against Brazil at Wembley.

He quickly established himself as a fans' favourite at the Madejski Stadium and was announced as the club’s best ever left-back in a poll to reveal Reading’s best ever eleven.

Last season he found himself left out of manager Martin O’Neill’s starting line-up on a regular basis and spent two loan periods with Nottingham Forest and Fulham.

West Brom now have three players competing for the left-back spot at the club with the Slovakian international Marek Cech and youngster Joe Mattock already on the books.

But Shorey will provide the Premier League new boys with some vital experience having spent the last few seasons performing well in the top tier of English football.

Shorey becomes Albion’s fifth signing of the summer following the arrivals of Pablo Ibanez, Steven Reid, Boaz Myhill and Gabriel Tamas.

"I’m delighted to welcome Nicky to the club," said a clearly delighted Di Matteo, speaking to the club’s official website.

"He’s an experienced, solid, reliable left back who likes to get forward and get involved.

"I also like the fact that he is English and knows what the Premier League is all about.

"He’s a player I’ve liked for some time.

"I’ve very much signed Nicky to compete for the left back position and I have some good options down that flank as Marek can also play further forward.

"Nicky’s arrival will not only increase but also means we will have options should we suffer injuries or suspensions."

Archived