Cocu at PSV

Big Trav

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching Wolves last night, and my entirely uneducated guess is that Cocu’s eventual aim is to have us playing like they do. Don’t score a great many goals, but are extremely solid at the back, and everyone in the team can play football. Their tactics seem to be to wear the opposition out with their possession play in midfield, before hitting teams with pace and precision once they tire out - often in the second half of games. I think we’ve been trying to do similar, but we’ve made far too many stupid mistakes at the back which ducks the whole plan up as you end up chasing the game. In the games I’ve seen, Wolves very rarely concede the first goal. We need a similarly impenetrable defence, as well as the same 100% focus across the 90 minutes, if we are to succeed playing this style. 

If you compare the personnel though, we have certainly started the process to building a side that can play that way. We’ve started to build the solid, yet still capable of playing out the back, defence. We already have the fairly slow but technically brilliant midfield with Bird, Rooney, Bielik etc. The big thing we’re missing is pace and power on the wings. Compare Traore to Waghorn and the problems are clear. We are in desperate need of two new, more direct, old fashioned wingers - as well as probably a new ST who is a bit more mobile and stronger than Martin.

Archived