I remember....

Eddie

19 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

Buying my first pair of football boots, from the shop on Osmaston Road co-owned by Sammy Crooks and Harry Elliott.

Idolising Eddie Thomas, Bobby Saxton and Phil Waller

Seeing Nigel Cleevely score twice in a game. John Bowers scored the other.

Buying my first season ticket for £2. It took me 6 weeks of delivering papers to earn that princely sum.

Watching Alan Durban scoring a hat-trick during a game when he was totally overshadowed by a certain player making his home debut (note: many people think that the match against Huddersfield was his actual debut for The Rams - it wasn't. That was the week before in an away defeat at Crystal Palace).

Witnessing Colin Boulton receiving a horrific head wound diving at the feet of Greg Farrell of Cardiff City in a 1-1 draw

Thinking that Sam Longson had lost his mind, sacking Tim Ward and replacing him with Brian Clough

Watching the first few games that Dave Mackay played for Derby and being unimpressed - until, against Oxford United, he aimed what I thought was a wild lunge at a through-ball, only to dummy it at the last minute and let the ball trickle harmlessly through to Les Green. I then 'got it' - and so did the rest of the back four (Roy McFarland, John Robson and Ron Webster) in the same instant.

Hearing the ball hit the back of the net at the Normanton End, just before Tommy Lawrence his the floor. The Baseball Ground was momentarily silent before pandemonium set in. A week later, the impossible dream became a reality.

Being told that I'm not a 'proper Derby fan' just because I currently post a few times in the Politics tab.

Really ? Some of us appreciate your contribution there.

He posts where he wants (there's got to be a song there)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived