I remember....

Eddie

Buying my first pair of football boots, from the shop on Osmaston Road co-owned by Sammy Crooks and Harry Elliott.

Idolising Eddie Thomas, Bobby Saxton and Phil Waller

Seeing Nigel Cleevely score twice in a game. John Bowers scored the other.

Buying my first season ticket for £2. It took me 6 weeks of delivering papers to earn that princely sum.

Watching Alan Durban scoring a hat-trick during a game when he was totally overshadowed by a certain player making his home debut (note: many people think that the match against Huddersfield was his actual debut for The Rams - it wasn't. That was the week before in an away defeat at Crystal Palace).

Witnessing Colin Boulton receiving a horrific head wound diving at the feet of Greg Farrell of Cardiff City in a 1-1 draw

Thinking that Sam Longson had lost his mind, sacking Tim Ward and replacing him with Brian Clough

Watching the first few games that Dave Mackay played for Derby and being unimpressed - until, against Oxford United, he aimed what I thought was a wild lunge at a through-ball, only to dummy it at the last minute and let the ball trickle harmlessly through to Les Green. I then 'got it' - and so did the rest of the back four (Roy McFarland, John Robson and Ron Webster) in the same instant.

Hearing the ball hit the back of the net at the Normanton End, just before Tommy Lawrence his the floor. The Baseball Ground was momentarily silent before pandemonium set in. A week later, the impossible dream became a reality.

Being told that I'm not a 'proper Derby fan' just because I currently post a few times in the Politics tab.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Montgolfier said:

Buying my first pair of football boots, from the shop on Osmaston Road co-owned by Sammy Crooks and Harry Elliott.

Buying my first season ticket for £2. It took me 6 weeks of delivering papers to earn that princely sum.

Watching Alan Durban scoring a hat-trick during a game when he was totally overshadowed by a certain player making his home debut (note: many people think that the match against Huddersfield was his actual debut for The Rams - it wasn't. That was the week before in an away defeat at Crystal Palace).

Witnessing Colin Boulton receiving a horrific head wound diving at the feet of Greg Farrell of Cardiff City in a 1-1 draw

Thinking that Sam Longson had lost his mind, sacking Tim Ward and replacing him with Brian Clough

Watching the first few games that Dave Mackay played for Derby and being unimpressed - until, against Oxford United, he aimed what I thought was a wild lunge at a through-ball, only to dummy it at the last minute and let the ball trickle harmlessly through to Les Green. I then 'got it' - and so did the rest of the back four (Roy McFarland, John Robson and Ron Webster) in the same instant.

Hearing the ball hit the back of the net at the Normanton End, just before Tommy Lawrence his the floor. The Baseball Ground was momentarily silent before pandemonium set in. A week later, the impossible dream became a reality.

Being told that I'm not a 'proper Derby fan' just because I currently post a few times in the Politics tab.

I remember seeing a video of Mason Bennett vomiting in a urinal , I think your memories are more interesting ? 

2 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

Sammy Crooks and Harry Elliott

Who?

58 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Who, who and who? And who?

Watching Alan Durban

Who?

Witnessing Colin Boulton

You've lost me.

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Les Green. John Robson and Ron Webster

Are they off Coronation Street?

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Tommy Lawrence his the floor

Finally somebody I've heard of!

Drunk again was he?

2 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

I can remember mi owd when I wa a young un ... mi  mam had made mi sum dungarees out of some bottle green polyester material she had from factory... buttons at top like..nah I reckon I wa abart three ... I remember running ta outside toilet cause I wa bosting fer a waz. Me being young I couldn't open mi dungarees and that shade of bottle green soon became a darker shade...I remember mi fost season ticket 15 quid I think fer poolside... mi fost match wa a defeat against man utd... 77 I reckon.. went wi mi owd father... he never went again... I remember  gerrin a milk crate from northern dairies ta stand on in popside then when they scored it used ta get kicked from under me... they wa days mi owd ... as fer politics say and stand up fer what tha believes in screw everyone else ...

I also remembering being over mi mates smiffys house..we had made some pretend guns wi three bits of wood... I remember him making the akakakak noise of the gun shooting but as he did it he farted and followed through... I still laugh nah abart it ...

2 hours ago, Owd miner said:

I also remembering being over mi mates smiffys house..we had made some pretend guns wi three bits of wood... I remember him making the akakakak noise of the gun shooting but as he did it he farted and followed through... I still laugh nah abart it ...

I think he was probably saying "a kack! a kack!" 

He knew what was coming. 

I remember Saturdays in 1975.......

watching Tiswas while polishing my Doc Martens into a perfect sheen of ox blood red.....meeting the lads in a cafe in downtown Utch, sausage sarnie or chips and gravy were de rigeur.....strolling down to the station with silk scarves attached to wrists and/or belts with 10 No6 iand a book of matches in me wrangler or Harrington jacket pocket.

15 or so lads aged from 14 to 18 trying to look cool with a ciggie and tin of McEwans bitter waiting for the train to Derby to roll in, occasionally having to very quickly hide the scarves when the train was full of Stoke, Everton, Liverpool, Man City or United ........the feeling of excitement as the train went past Leys Foundry giving a tantalising glimpse of the Baseball Ground floodlights before pulling in to Derby station.

Navigating across the platforms, sometimes gangs of football lads changing trains or hanging out of windows asking who you were, usually answered by a "Derby, Derby" a few V signs and a quick sprint out into Midland Road.

After dodging the away fans we'd make our way into town, more often than not ending up in the Spotted Horse then walking along Ossie or London Road, goading away fans, dodging the coppers, generally being teenage ********* until it started getting a bit serious nearer the ground then letting the older Derby lads do the actual fighting while we did the "hold me back" routine!

Walking onto the Popside at 2.30, joining in the chanting and singing until the crescendo when the players finally came out .

Then bearing witness to the best team in the country, Toddy, Mac, Zak, Charlie, Frannie, Archie, Nishy, Brucey,, Gladys, we saw some of the best players in the world. not all of them playing for Derby I may add, there was the opposition of course, Charlton, Best, Eusebio, Moore, who were nearly as good as our lot....

The greatest chant of all time as a Derby fan......"We're gonna win the League, AGAIN, We're gonna win the League, AGAIN, we're gonna win the league, AGAIN...and now you're gonna believe us, and now you're gonna believe us, and now you're gonna belieeeeeeve us, we're gonna win the League....AGAIN"

Some of the names may not equate exactly to 1975 so forgive me for a bit of artistic license, but thats my memories of my teenage years as a young Derby fan.

?

I remember my first Derby game in 2006 as a 5 year old where we beat Millwall 1-0 (although I can hardly remember owt)

I remember knocking Man Utd out the cup with a wondergoal from Commons (god what a player)

I remember going Huddersfield away in 2015(or 14 or 16) Where we drew 4-4. a brutal brutal game for me as I was in the home stands with my mate whos a town fan.

I remember the trumping of forest 5-0 my first ever East Midlands Derby game.

Some cracking memories for me as a younger fan.

The first game I can fully remember is when we lost to spurs 0-3 at home, but thats not exactly a great memory is it.

I also remember meeting Ol' Jake Bucko and Keogh and getting my shirt signed by them.

Somewhere aswell I've got footballs signed by the whole of the 04-05 squad and the 12-13 squad that my grandad somehow got me.

Some good memories, what makes me love this club 

14 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Who?

Who, who and who? And who?

Who?

You've lost me.

Are they off Coronation Street?

Finally somebody I've heard of!

Drunk again was he?

only one I know of well is Ron Webster is cos its me mates grandad ahahaha

18 minutes ago, Squid said:

...I remember knocking Man Utd out the cup with a wondergoal from Commons (god what a player)...

Some good memories, what makes me love this club ...

I don't know how to break this to you, but... No... I just can't bring myself to tell you. 

Can someone a lot more heartless than me step in at this point... PLEASE!  

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I don't know how to break this to you, but... No... I just can't bring myself to tell you. 

My bad hahahah dunno why i put knocked out (think last year was on my mind at the same time...) 

Let me rephrase that..

I remember beating Man Utd in the first leg of the semi finals with a wondergoal from Commons

14 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Standing ankle-deep in piss while taking a leak against a white-washed wall.

This was an actual designated gents' toilet under the main stand at the BBG.

Those were the days...

You should try the London Stadium. Last time I went there everywhere there was a spare bit of wall/floor/sink/urinal in the actual room designated as toilets there was someone pissing. It didn't help that this was in the middle of summer as well. Just imagine a Turkish bath house, but replace the water with urine. Obviously its London, so you can't really notice the difference even without the piss, but still.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yep! I'll step in....to utter the comment"God what a player" about Chris Commons just makes me think of the different mindsets of fans born in different eras.Because my first Rams match was in 1967(B.C.) I've been lucky enough to watch all those fantastic international and even some world class players mentioned above competing in unbelievable matches during our glory years whilst twice being crowned Champions of England.So given my different circumstances I doubt if Chris Commons would even be in my top one hundred in a list of my best ever players to pull on a Rams shirt.Thats not in any way trying to belittle anybody else's very valid memories....I sometimes feel a bit sorry for the younger fans who never got the chance to see those fantastic players we were lucky enough to witness on the BBG "turf".There are a few advantages to being an old git!

40 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Yep! I'll step in....to utter the comment"God what a player" about Chris Commons just makes me think of the different mindsets of fans born in different eras.Because my first Rams match was in 1967(B.C.) I've been lucky enough to watch all those fantastic international and even some world class players mentioned above competing in unbelievable matches during our glory years whilst twice being crowned Champions of England.So given my different circumstances I doubt if Chris Commons would even be in my top one hundred in a list of my best ever players to pull on a Rams shirt.Thats not in any way trying to belittle anybody else's very valid memories....I sometimes feel a bit sorry for the younger fans who never got the chance to see those fantastic players we were lucky enough to witness on the BBG "turf".There are a few advantages to being an old git!

We have to take what we can get! The best position Derby have ever finished whilst i've been old enough to watch was the record breaking Prem season and Billy Davies has been the most successful manager. Not many greats for the youth to choose from!

13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

watching Tiswas while polishing my Doc Martens into a perfect sheen of ox blood red.....meeting the lads in a cafe in downtown Utch, sausage sarnie or chips and gravy were de rigeur.....strolling down to the station with silk scarves attached to wrists and/or belts with 10 No6 iand a book of matches in me wrangler or Harrington jacket pocket.

15 or so lads aged from 14 to 18 trying to look cool with a ciggie and tin of McEwans bitter waiting for the train to Derby to roll in, occasionally having to very quickly hide the scarves when the train was full of Stoke, Everton, Liverpool, Man City or United ........the feeling of excitement as the train went past Leys Foundry giving a tantalising glimpse of the Baseball Ground floodlights before pulling in to Derby station.

Navigating across the platforms, sometimes gangs of football lads changing trains or hanging out of windows asking who you were, usually answered by a "Derby, Derby" a few V signs and a quick sprint out into Midland Road.

After dodging the away fans we'd make our way into town, more often than not ending up in the Spotted Horse then walking along Ossie or London Road, goading away fans, dodging the coppers, generally being teenage ********* until it started getting a bit serious nearer the ground then letting the older Derby lads do the actual fighting while we did the "hold me back" routine!

Walking onto the Popside at 2.30, joining in the chanting and singing until the crescendo when the players finally came out .

Then bearing witness to the best team in the country, Toddy, Mac, Zak, Charlie, Frannie, Archie, Nishy, Brucey,, Gladys, we saw some of the best players in the world. not all of them playing for Derby I may add, there was the opposition of course, Charlton, Best, Eusebio, Moore, who were nearly as good as our lot....

The greatest chant of all time as a Derby fan......"We're gonna win the League, AGAIN, We're gonna win the League, AGAIN, we're gonna win the league, AGAIN...and now you're gonna believe us, and now you're gonna believe us, and now you're gonna belieeeeeeve us, we're gonna win the League....AGAIN"

Some of the names may not equate exactly to 1975 so forgive me for a bit of artistic license, but thats my memories of my teenage years as a young Derby fan.

?

Brilliant.

But was it Les or Woody pictures that you had on your bedroom wall?  

@Inverurie Ram can you stick a Bye Bye Baby video link up for Utch’s trip down memory lane.

?

Are you sure you don't mean 1:30? It used to be so packed back then that you couldn't get in unless you were there at lunchtime IIRC?

Archived