RIP George Darwin

Geriatram

One of my all time favorite players, A small lightweight inside forward he was a lovely footballer to watch. he joined us in 1957.I remember well a match against Liverpool,The Scottish goalkeeper Younger was injured by a challenge with Darwin and an outfield player went in goal and Younger went on the wing and Billy Liddle went to full back. those where the days no subs.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts go out to George's family at this sad time.

Like @angieram I'm too young to remember George personally, so I did a little research on line and it seems George joined from Mansfield Town for £4,000 in 1957.  An inside forward he was an influential for us in consolidating our place in the second division following our promotion from Div 3 (North).  George spent three seasons at the Rams scoring 32 goals in 94 appearances.

My favourite fact about George really shows how times and attitudes have changed since the fifties.  Apparently George left the Rams because his wife never settled in Derby.  Amazing that today a distance that would be seen as a relatively short half hour commute was a world away for George's wife.

Rest in peace, George and thank you.

13 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Apparently George left the Rams because his wife never settled in Derby.  Amazing that today a distance that would be seen as a relatively short half hour commute was a world away for George's wife.

They closed the slip road on the A52 on way to Baseball Ground just before he joined and when the roadworks were still there 3 years later, he'd had enough.

14 hours ago, Geriatram said:

One of my all time favorite players, A small lightweight inside forward he was a lovely footballer to watch. he joined us in 1957.I remember well a match against Liverpool,The Scottish goalkeeper Younger was injured by a challenge with Darwin and an outfield player went in goal and Younger went on the wing and Billy Liddle went to full back. those where the days no subs.

Like you, I was at that 1958 game G'ram.

Being a real lightweight forward be could easily  skip over the BBG mud - if you saw it in Cloughie's time, it was far better than in the 1950s! - regularly leaving defenders in his wake. His partnership with Jack Parry in particular was unbelievable, as he was always ready to receive George's direction-changing high speed deft back heels to wrong foot the opposition.

Delightful player to watch, RIP George, and thanks for the memories.

Archived