Legend

Day

On 27/07/2018 at 13:55, David said:

To become a "Legend" what does a footballer need to achieve, domestic trophies, shed load of goals, hat tricks v rivals?

Legend status is given out quite freely these days, Robbie Savage was once given it for waving a scarf around the City Ground, to think that would place him in the same company as Brian Clough didn't and still doesn't sit right with me at all.

Have we ruined the word, removed all meaning by throwing it around so easily? And what happened to "Cult Hero" which could be seen as more fitting for players who have given us moments of joy over a relatively short time at the club without achieving any real success.

By the way, I will never have it that Robbie Savage was a legend. Ever. I don't care if I'm the only man on earth with this opinion I will stand by myself in the right.

It's not so much a Derby only topic so put it in Football Talk, but I would be interested in seeing a list of Derby County legends with replies, see who makes the cut.

What Robbie Savage is does end in 'end' but the first bit is bell rather than leg.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/07/2018 at 17:34, SaintRam said:

Further on from my pedantic perspective, I recall a chat with an English professor about the term "Legend", while studying mythos.

He said that he believes someone becomes a Legend once a story is told about something they did, as a method of explaining who they were, to inspire someone else to do something more.

I rather like that, as a subjective perspective on the phrase.

I'm off to tell my kids about when we last got promoted. It was a true Derby legend who sealed our return to the top flight!

Archived