Giles Barnes' comments on the 2007 play-off final

CumbrianRam

GILES Barnes has set his sights on a return to the Premier League after being given the chance to resurrect his career with West Bromwich Albion.

The former Derby County forward signed an 18-month deal with the Baggies this week.

The 21-year-old's contract with the Rams was cancelled by mutual consent last month following an injury-plagued spell at Pride Park.

Barnes has been recovering from his latest injury – a ruptured Achilles tendon, which he suffered in Derby's pre-season friendly against Stoke City in August.

He has not played a first-team game for more than a year but is now hoping to prove his fitness at Championship promotion-chasers West Brom.

"I've had a few injury problems but, hopefully, they are all behind me," said Barnes.

"I'm just grateful for the chance I've been given and, hopefully, I can show everyone what I'm capable of again."

Barnes set up Stephen Pearson's winner in Derby's 2007 Championship play-off final victory over West Brom.

"Derby were quite lucky that day, if I'm honest," he added. "We got battered that day but the aim is to score goals – and we did.

"Hopefully, I can show the Albion fans exactly what I showed the Derby fans that season."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Ex-Ram-Barnes-eyes-Premier-return-Baggies/article-1806006-detail/article.html

I honestly can't remember any battering that game, the only WBA chance I remember was Kevin Phillips hitting the bar.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Ex-Ram-Barnes-eyes-Premier-return-Baggies/article-1806006-detail/article.html

I honestly can't remember any battering that game, the only BA chance I remember was Kevin Phillips hitting the bar.

really, i don't remember us creating many chances, and Tye and jay mac, having to make last ditch tackles

i thought we were a bit lucky too, as i do remember (not much admittedly as i was wasted) but Bywater was the busier of the keepers

Archived