esports

1of4

If Paris win the bid to hold the 2024 Olympics they want esports to be included along side the regular events. What next a gold medal for winning at Ludo or being first to guess who murdered Dr Black in Cluedo.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Competitive computer gaming seems to have a place in today's society and by all means a tournament or four yearly event should happen but it should be kept far far away from real actual sport especially the olympics.  That said in 50 years maybe esports will be bigger than all real sports and they regret not being involved.

16 hours ago, McRamFan said:

esports have been growing by huge amounts since 2000.

Yes it may be a pastime that is growing in popularity and can be played competitively between two or more people, it doesn't make it a sport. Sport by definition is an activity involving physical exertion. Unless sitting on a couch while getting RSI of the thumbs is deemed to be a physical activity it will never be a sport.

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Yes it may be a pastime that is growing in popularity and can be played competitively between two or more people, it doesn't make it a sport. Sport by definition is an activity involving physical exertion. Unless sitting on a couch while getting RSI of the thumbs is deemed to be a physical activity it will never be a sport.

I think you will find that the money will dictate if it is classed as a sport.  You never know, esports might evolve to the tech used in the Assassins film, now that was physical...

• 1 month later...
Sith Happens
On 12/08/2017 at 00:33, 1of4 said:

When I was a lad i was very involved in an activity which involved physical exertion and involved me often sitting on a couch and close on getting RSI.

I am not sure it would make an olympic sport though as competing against someone else would be just weird.

I have put maybe 450 hours in to DOTA 2 which is one of the most lucrative in terms of price points and I am not even what the competitive community would consider 'good' at the game. I can tell you now that the skill caps in these games is up there with any sport or athletic pursuit but it is clearly not an athletic pursuit.

I would compare it to competitive shooting or any Olympic discipline that is based more on skill than athletic ability. Honestly I am not sure it should be there but I wouldn't be in anyway against it being added.

27 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

When I was a lad i was very involved in an activity which involved physical exertion and involved me often sitting on a couch and close on getting RSI.

I am not sure it would make an olympic sport though as competing against someone else would be just weird.

Should have changed hands after every fifty, so avoiding RSI while getting better muscle definition in both arms.?

Archived