Our Defence

Day

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

David's point was that our defence was fine but my point is that they are bound to look fine when they have the people in front of them babysitting them. Whenever we attempted to play a higher line and thy had less protection, our defence got exposed immensely as seen in the games against Norwich, Brighton and brentford.

We have better defenders now so playing a higher line will not affect us as much and allow our attackers to focus more on what they do best.

Yeh - And last season we didn't

the 13/14 season we were at our best with Eustace and then Thorne as cover

Since then we've barely had a recognised DM to provide that cover - Makeshift cover like Johnson, Bryson, Hughes and Butters left us horribly exposed half the time

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

David's point was that our defence was fine but my point is that they are bound to look fine when they have the people in front of them babysitting them. Whenever we attempted to play a higher line and thy had less protection, our defence got exposed immensely as seen in the games against Norwich, Brighton and brentford.

We have better defenders now so playing a higher line will not affect us as much and allow our attackers to focus more on what they do best.

Babysitting, you mean playing as a team?

I do agree that we do look stronger, on paper, defensively but it needs to be the correct balance throughout the team, which was the problem last season.

38 minutes ago, McLovin said:

David's point was that our defence was fine

Didn't say that, I said it wasn't all that bad which it wasn't, 12 clean sheets at home can't be knocked.

Can still improve on the defence.

Defence starts from the front for me, and we sat so deep at times last season and didn't engage in tackles or pressing until they were on the edge of our box. I want to see us defend higher up the pitch, press as a unit, not individuals, and win the ball closer to the oppositions  box.

I believe our defence will be one of the strongest if not the strongest in the league this season. Brilliant to have a more stable right side in wisdom and also to have our first choice left back returning also. Davies will provide experience and bring out he best in our already good keogh. 

Just the attack that needs a little work still!

Said this before but still feel it's not the overall number of goals we concede but more the manner of goals and by that I mean not closing things out ,,it seemed that our defence had that same underlying feeling us fans had that we were just going to let in that vital goal and it kind of became a self fulfilling prophesy ,, more a mindset thing ,nerves and panic ,,, that's my only slight niggle at keough ,, I think he is a decent centre half ,, I think we should not sell him but I don't believe he is the right captain and not as some say that being captains disrupts his game but more that he isn't the type of player that exudes calmness , it's just not his way ,,,, we need a good experience captain alongside him and I really hope Davies is that player ( not seen enough of him to know) ,,

as I say ,keough is a decent defender but not a calming influence 

Archived