Nigel Clough Sacking

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Average manager who did his job at our club and should have been sacked 3 years earlier. Better managers have got teams promoted on smaller budgets than Clough, he was nothing special. 

'Better' managers don't seem to have got us promoted on far bigger budgets than Clough. I remember there were once suggestions that Big Mick would be the answer.Look what's happened to Ipswich since they started cutting back.

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

'Better' managers don't seem to have got us promoted on far bigger budgets than Clough. I remember there were once suggestions that Big Mick would be the answer.Look what's happened to Ipswich since they started cutting back.

because we spent our money awfully, my point still stands that managers with similar budgets as Clough had have got teams challenging and even got promotion at times. He really did nothing special at our club and I never will get the praise he constantly gets. 

12 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Average manager who did his job at our club and should have been sacked 3 years earlier. Better managers have got teams promoted on smaller budgets than Clough, he was nothing special. 

The Daily Mirror earlier this week stated that Nigel should get manager of the season for keeping Burton up on the smallest budget in the championship

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

The Daily Mirror earlier this week stated that Nigel should get manager of the season for keeping Burton up on the smallest budget in the championship

We're not talking about his time at Burton though, we're talking about Derby County. 

9 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Great. And they'll have that to look forward to season after season.

8 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

because we spent our money awfully, my point still stands that managers with similar budgets as Clough had have got teams challenging and even got promotion at times. He really did nothing special at our club and I never will get the praise he constantly gets. 

Show me all the managers and show me all the budgets.I'll warn you that years ago Glick said that we were going to model ourselves on Burnley (although I think the team kept changing). When I looked at Burnley for the year in question I found that directors' loans had supplemented turnover and allowed them to run a wage bill that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to maintain.

7 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Show me all the managers and show me all the budgets.I'll warn you that years ago Glick said that we were going to model ourselves on Burnley (although I think the team kept changing). When I looked at Burnley for the year in question I found that directors' loans had supplemented turnover and allowed them to run a wage bill that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to maintain.

Ipswich 14/15, Burnley 13/14 and Brighton 13/14 all reached the playoffs on budgets hardly any different than Clough ever had. 

17 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Ipswich 14/15, Burnley 13/14 and Brighton 13/14 all reached the playoffs on budgets hardly any different than Clough ever had. 

Now show me their budgets and the comparative budgets Clough had,which you must surely know in order to make the statement you have. 

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

Now show me their budgets and the comparative budgets Clough had,which you must surely know in order to make the statement you have. 

Don't give a monkey's about budgets, it's what's on the pitch that counts - and fair or unfair - Clough hasn't got it.

16 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Ipswich - £135,000 

Brighton - £0 

Burnley - £0

Won't even bother looking at the others,but your Burnley £0 is obviously a code for total wages (excluding promotion bonuses) of £15.458m (very similar to the previous year's figure),with incoming transfers just under £5m and outgoing transfers just under £2m,so yeah,just like Nigel had.

Just now, ronnieronalde said:

I do, of course.

But just in case anyone else has forgotten. Can we confirm it was Dean Moxey? ;-)

Yes that's correct. 

58 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Ipswich did well to reach the play offs finishing 16th (on an overall wage budget of nearly £16m)

Archived