Xabi Alonso retiring at the end of the season

Sexydadbod

First Lahm, now Alonso. Be interesting to see how Bayern replace both. Great player and great professional. Kids should look up to players like these when growing up rather than the likes of Ronaldo and Messi(who are just freaks). Makes me upset that some of the great players of the late 90s/2000s are now retiring or already have retired . That was a truly great period for football. So many great players back then

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont think it will be long before Ribery and Robben retire either. Both 33.

Were getting to that stage now. Others such as Sneijder, Van Persie and Van der Vaart are getting there too.

No wonder Holland are so bad these days. Their golden generation is over.

Man I'm getting all nostalgic now. I remember Ribery's breakout in the 2006 World Cup like it was yesterday. Most of the  players in that France-Italy final have retired now and others are close to retiring. Gets even worse if I remember the Brazil-Germany 2002 final. As you said Bris, Ribery will probably retire soon as will the likes of Buffon,Totti,Pirlo whilst everyone else who played in that final are pretty much done.

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Incredible player.  As close as you can get to a complete midfielder.  Hard to believe Liverpool didn't win the league with him, Gerrard & Torres in their prime...

You make a good point but the other sides Liverpool had to complete with were even stronger. Man Utd had the likes of Ronaldo,Rooney,Giggs,Scholes,Tevez,Evra, Vidic,Ferdinand, Berbatov,Evra,Owen Hargreaves whilst Chelsea had Cech,Terry,Carvalho,Lampard,Makelele,Ballack, Drogba, Joe Cole, Malouda, Anelka, Ashley cole. To me both of the current Man Utd and Chelsea teams are nowhere near those teams in terms of individual quality.

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

That's like trading in your Ferrari for a 15 yo Skoda...

Like Skodas I think Barry was for a period underrated but he was certainly no Alonso.  Alonso managed to look slick, smooth and technically gifted in a Spanish midfield with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Silva which is no mean feat.

Archived