Johnny Russell Appreciation

TuffLuff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Interesting stats I must admit. Maybe I'm giving him an undeserved bad rep then, my post was based on his performance yesterday and an inability to remember a standout performance from him this season but maybe that was unwarranted.

In the same vein, Bryson hasn't had an extended run of games in the team so good form cannot be presumed or even expected. Under McClaren, Bryson was unbelievable so maybe I'm just hoping for a repeat of those days.

My ideal midfield as it stands is Thorne, Hughes and Johnson anyway, was just pondering over the reasons as to why our play was so apathetic yesterday...

Second half against Forest, unplayable, inspired, driven

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just watched the highlights of the brum game....Russell made some stunning passes and was very unlucky not to score...The ball came to him at very difficult angles to convert from.

The goals will come for him, he's clearly working like a trooper.

Yeah goals will come for him starting from this Saturday. 

Jonny Russell is a good player he works hard but that it about it. He is 6 out of 10 everyweek. He runs about, tracks back and occassionally creates but that is about it. Be nice if he looked up once in a while and had some end product

id be happy if we signed someone better, then have russell on the bench fighting for his place rather than as a starter. I think he is one area we can improve. 

Like i say I like him but if we're honest he's an average championship player whos work rate makes up for his lack of ability. 

Tom Ince would walk into any other championship side. How many other sides currently in the top six would jonny russell start for everyweek ? 

9 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Jonny Russell is a good player he works hard but that it about it. He is 6 out of 10 everyweek. He runs about, tracks back and occassionally creates but that is about it. Be nice if he looked up once in a while and had some end product

id be happy if we signed someone better, then have russell on the bench fighting for his place rather than as a starter. I think he is one area we can improve. 

Like i say I like him but if we're honest he's an average championship player whos work rate makes up for his lack of ability. 

Tom Ince would walk into any other championship side. How many other sides currently in the top six would jonny russell start for everyweek ? 

Can't agree with this.....some of his goals have been worldies and he is clearly having to play slightly differently in this second Mac spell due to the changes in personnel which don't fit quite right yet.....

To my mind he is a 8 out of 10 champ striker even when not scoring as often as he has and his contribution to the team's solidness in defence shouldn't be underestimated either....

The blokes done nothing wrong,works his socks off and makes few mistakes but has now become the derby scapegoat.....unbelievable really on such a good run of form for the team....I think we should trust in Macs belief in johnny as he's not picking him for a starting spot each week for no reason...

33 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Can't agree with this.....some of his goals have been worldies and he is clearly having to play slightly differently in this second Mac spell due to the changes in personnel which don't fit quite right yet.....

To my mind he is a 8 out of 10 champ striker even when not scoring as often as he has and his contribution to the team's solidness in defence shouldn't be underestimated either....

The blokes done nothing wrong,works his socks off and makes few mistakes but has now become the derby scapegoat.....unbelievable really on such a good run of form for the team....I think we should trust in Macs belief in johnny as he's not picking him for a starting spot each week for no reason...

Take your blinkers off

nobody is using him as scapegoat, i said he's been solid but i think if we can buy someone better and replace him then we should  

when was the last time he scored a 'worldie' 

he's being picked over wieman & camarea because he's better than them, doesnt make him ryan giggs does it? 

if you are classing him as a striker there are literally 10 better 'strikers' in this division 

im not slagging him off i think he's been decent but i think his better days are behind him, he works but lacks end product i think he's one of the weakest links in our side at the moment. Saying he's the weakest link doesnt make him 'crap' but id like to see us improve and push on

Russell is the forward version of Jake Buxton, top bloke, works hard, fans favourite but really If we can buy a better option we should. 

Shift weimann on, buy better than russell and move jonny to the bench, improve the side 

All this "no end product" is just garbage. His end product is creating chances, helping the defence, chasing down position defenders, forcing mistakes. No, he isn't scoring but he's not playing like he used to - Martin was an integral part of that by holding the ball for JR and others to get forward. It isn't a coincidence that now Martin has gone others are not scoring.

He creates 2 or 3 chances almost every game. 

Can someone please tell me how many chances Ince has created for anyone but himself?

14 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

All this "no end product" is just garbage. His end product is creating chances, helping the defence, chasing down position defenders, forcing mistakes. No, he isn't scoring but he's not playing like he used to - Martin was an integral part of that by holding the ball for JR and others to get forward. It isn't a coincidence that now Martin has gone others are not scoring.

He creates 2 or 3 chances almost every game. 

Can someone please tell me how many chances Ince has created for anyone but himself?

Yes, if loony tunes hadn’t given one of our best players to Fulham then I think we might have seen the return of the telepathic four by now (Bryson, Hughes, Martin, and Russell).

Watching those clever, hardworking, players interlinking in unexpected ways (with either Thorne or Eustace at DM) has been one of the highlights of the past decade.

Ince’s ‘give me the ball so I can do the scoring’ attitude would probably just get in their way.

55 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Take your blinkers off

nobody is using him as scapegoat, i said he's been solid but i think if we can buy someone better and replace him then we should  

when was the last time he scored a 'worldie' 

he's being picked over wieman & camarea because he's better than them, doesnt make him ryan giggs does it? 

if you are classing him as a striker there are literally 10 better 'strikers' in this division 

im not slagging him off i think he's been decent but i think his better days are behind him, he works but lacks end product i think he's one of the weakest links in our side at the moment. Saying he's the weakest link doesnt make him 'crap' but id like to see us improve and push on

Russell is the forward version of Jake Buxton, top bloke, works hard, fans favourite but really If we can buy a better option we should. 

Shift weimann on, buy better than russell and move jonny to the bench, improve the side 

g ram....

see the two posts following yours,no need to repeat myself with those summing it up 

my blinkers appear to be somewhat smaller than yours...

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

g ram....

see the two posts following yours,no need to repeat myself with those summing it up 

my blinkers appear to be somewhat smaller than yours...

Yes and they are also complete nonsense. He doesnt create two-three chances a game, otherwise those chances would be converted and he's be ripping up the assist charts

when running with the ball he runs into trouble, not seen him beat a defender in a while. He has a go running at defenders but just runs into trouble. 

I agree he gets back, works hard & i do like him but if we want to push on i think he is someone that we should buy better than to improve the overall side. 

Im not saying ship him out im saying have him as third choice and ship someone who offers less like wieman out 

always look to improve 

Archived