Carlisle

Waffle

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few ideas from their website ...

The historic town of Carlisle is noted for its restored architecture and tree-lined streets–once walked on by George Washington, Molly Pitcher and other icons of early America. If history is your passion, this town offers landmarks, museums, a retro movie and performing arts theatre, and a Civil War augmented reality walking tour that allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to see history with new eyes!

13 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Here's a few ideas from their website ...

The historic town of Carlisle is noted for its restored architecture and tree-lined streets–once walked on by George Washington, Molly Pitcher and other icons of early America. If history is your passion, this town offers landmarks, museums, a retro movie and performing arts theatre, and a Civil War augmented reality walking tour that allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to see history with new eyes!

Thank you, but I think that's the American Carlisle, I'm up north ?

Carlisle is a decent enough town. It has a very interesting museum and information about the Border Reivers as well as a castle which is excellent and also some decent shopping and pubs. There is a small town not far called Brampton which is very quaint and has some excellent pubs.

There are some excellent walks also by the River Eden which backs onto the football ground.

Other than that you could just sit in your hotel room, eat pasties and get hammered? :)

Seriously though, it's a lovely part of the world and if you can get further afield there is some beautiful scenery.

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Get yourself on the bus to Keswick and prepare for the experience of a lifetime.

http://www.pencilmuseum.co.uk/

Let's just say. I have many regrets in life. But this was not one of them.

thank you for all your suggestions. Carlisle is surprisingly nice and I've spent most of my time walking. I also caught the train to Gretna, which is one of the most boring places I've ever visited other than the whisky shop at the Blacksmiths.

Archived