Beer Thread

Cisse

23 hours ago, Boycie said:

Piss head,

I thought you were supposed to saviour the monks brew, not syphon it darn thee neck as fast as possible?

:p

I showed a lttle more restraint today.

We went to Oostende and got savagely sunburned.

As an antidote I had a Rochefort Trappistes 10 followed by a Chimay Blue. Both are excellent after-sun lotions.

This evening, in Brugge I had 2 bottles of Duvel and a bottle of Barbar.

The highlight though was the soakage - Flemish beef stew (Carbonnade) made with Rodenbach Red Beer. Probably the best nosh I've had that wasn't curried in a long time.

Now to finish the evening off with a Westmalle tripel.

19 minutes ago, eddie said:

I showed a lttle more restraint today.

We went to Oostende and got savagely sunburned.

As an antidote I had a Rochefort Trappistes 10 followed by a Chimay Blue. Both are excellent after-sun lotions.

This evening, in Brugge I had 2 bottles of Duvel and a bottle of Barbar.

The highlight though was the soakage - Flemish beef stew (Carbonnade) made with Rodenbach Red Beer. Probably the best nosh I've had that wasn't curried in a long time.

Now to finish the evening off with a Westmalle tripel.

Good lad, you're the best driinkng partner I've never had.:lol:

1 minute ago, froggg said:

Good lad, you're the best driinkng partner I've never had.:lol:

It's one week a year. I love Belgium, and I do my very best to preserve as much of their brewing industry as is humanly possible in a week.

;)

38 minutes ago, froggg said:

I  need to join you on this next year.

You will be very welcome.

We went by train from Derby to St Pancras, Eurostar to Brussels and then a local train (which promptly broke down) to Brugge. Next year we may go by ferry (as foot passengers) from Hull to Zeebrugge, then a bus transfer into Brugge. We did that a couple of years ago and it was good fun - and extra day drinking on the way over, but they only had Leffe on the ferry.

Today we went for a walk in Maria Jeff Hendrika Park, Oostende to look at the little baby ducklings (aaaahhhh).

The Memsahib sucked on a Chimay Blau while I had a Westmalle Tripel. As I type this, I am having a bottle of Cornet Oaked - a beer cobbled together by Palm. I'm not sure what it's trying to be, but it's sort-of a woody stong blonde. Not unpleasant but an experiment perhaps not to be repeated.

View from our bedroom...

P3210001_zpsae44201e.jpg

View a few minutes later....

beer_27985.jpg

Today's beer - a couple of glasses of the beer I consider to be my favourite in the whole world, of all time. The Tripel van der Garre, served in the Staminee de Garre, Brugge. Only 50 yards from our hotel but I have been deliberately putting it off for a few days. Today was the day when I allowed myself a glimpse - and a taste - of heaven.

Tonight, we had the soakage beforehand - Flemish Stew again (I think I am addicted).

Then bottles of Trappistes Rochefort 10, Kasteel Donker and Delirium Nocturnum.

So much dark matter in one place, I think I have solved the gravitational problem of the universe.

Today, we went on a conducted tour around De Halve Maan brewery in Brugge. The unfiltered Brugse Zot at the end of the tour was utterly amazing.

Anyone who ever visits Brugge, make a note of Le Trappiste - a bar just 200 yards from the Grote Markt (where the Belfort is). We went there tonight and had a brilliant evening.

The bar do a 'sampler paddle' where you can have 15 cl of each of 5 different draught beers for €10.

I had the following:

• Gulden Draak
  • Bourgogne Des Flandres
  • Rodenbach Grand Cru
  • Brugge Tripel
  • Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel

Then finished the night off with a glass of La Chouffe Blond.

The Memsahib stuck on La Trappe Dubbel. Who am I to argue?

21 hours ago, eddie said:

Today, we went on a conducted tour around De Halve Maan brewery in Brugge. The unfiltered Brugse Zot at the end of the tour was utterly amazing.

Been on that tour a couple of times myself.Really enjoy Zot.Always looking to to book the odd 4 day break in Bruges or Prague.

Back home now - got in 10 minutes ago. Having to make do with a Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - what a hardship ;)

We had one final walk this lunchtime along the canal that forms the southern boundary of the inner city of Brugge, walked along Langestraat and ended up back in the Staminee de Garre. A swift Tripel, bus to the station, train to Brussels, an Orval at the station then the Eurostar back to St Pancras and the 20:30 train back to Derby.

The last week has been wonderful, and now I'm already looking to the next trip over there, which will probably be for the Christmas Market. It's a hard life, but somebody's got to do it.