Euro 2016 - Last 16 permutations

Stive Pesley

Has anyone else got their head around how this is supposed to work?

I’ve found a couple of online articles that try to explain it, but it seems weird

With 6 groups, 2 of the group winners end up playing runners-up (the other 4 runners up play each other)

Then the 6 x 3rd place teams get ranked and depending on the order of the groups with the 4 best 3rd placed teams – they then get allocated to the other 4 group winners

What I don’t get is how this is deemed fair? The group winners who play runners-up will likely feel aggrieved that another group winner is playing the 4th best 3rd place team.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the luck of the draw really. The first four group winners will face a third placed side. The last two group winners will face a second placed team.

It's no different being drawn in a tough group. Republic of Ireland look like they're heading out in a tough group with Italy, Belgium and Sweden. If they were a bit luckier they could have found themselves in a group with teams like Albania, Switzerland etc. Just how it works...

That nature of it is just straight luck of the draw.

On the note of the third place teams, they get ranked by pts, goal difference, then I *think* goals for, and then this crazy disciplinary ruling on who got the least cards (the disciplinary MAY come before goals for).

Then, after they're ranked (the ranking itself being largely arbitrary, you just need to be better than the worst two, there's nothing for being better than 4th, 3rd or 2nd): 

1878355.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's the luck of the draw really. The first four group winners will face a third placed side. The last two group winners will face a second placed team.

It's no different being drawn in a tough group. Republic of Ireland look like they're heading out in a tough group with Italy, Belgium and Sweden. If they were a bit luckier they could have found themselves in a group with teams like Albania, Switzerland etc. Just how it works...

Yeah - it just feels a bit contrary to the spirit of things. If they were going to rank the 3rd place teams and assign them randomly to the group winners, then perhaps they should have ranked the group winners the same and assigned them accordingly?

16 minutes ago, davenportram said:

can third place end up playing their group winners in the next round? So if we draw and Russia beat wales could we end up with us v Russia again?

From previous tournaments, thought you couldn't meet anyone in your group until the final? Last time it happened was Euro 96 I think? Germany v Czech Republic in group stages then in final 

Archived