Poison chalice

scarboroughwa

7 hours ago, RamDon said:

Thanks mate.

Yes, we agree...as far as it goes. I even go one step further; there is an absolutely valid argument that it's better to be promoted when you're in the best possible state to have a real crack at it. The problem with that though is twofold; it assumes these opportunities hang around until you're ready to grasp them and it assumes we are any closer to understanding where we've fallen short in the last two seasons.

Those who are satisfied that the answers are "McClaren" and "Clement" respectively are, in my view, just simpletons.

In your 'correction', therein lies the problem. You've reduced it to a simple statement and declared "see, it's simple!"

Circuitous logic at its worst.

What do you make of the raft of contradictory statements? For instance, that we were to develop the Academy kids and play them as much as possible. Yet we spent a fortune in direct contradiction of the stated aim. As far as we can tell, there was no ambiguity about those seemingly irreconcilable strategies until after Clement was sacked.

A second: the whole beautiful football argument. Now I loved how we played under McClaren. I also found myself frustrated and (at times) near-shattered at our inability to offer even kindergarten standard defence at times, constantly exposing us to the pressure of NEEDING to score. McClaren was criticised - again, simplistically - for lacking a Plan B.

We addressed that by appointing a novice manager whose coaching credentials suggested he was influenced by European styles. We knew he would seek to ameliorate the extremes of heater-skelter football with a more Continental defence-oriented then attack style. We knew that. After all, it is one of the foundations of our sustainable Premiership future given most of the successful clubs employ precisely that style. (It's one of the reasons I often find the Championship more watchable than the Premiership.)

Clement set about changing the basic ethos of the team with mixed results. That was predictable. After all, it's a coaching truism that, if you watch children playing football, they tend to attack. Defensive skills are more learned, and less ingrained.

Whether the personnel in the side is suited to that game style is an open question. But deconstructing McClaren's team was not an option considered. Why not? Because we were too close to promotion to need to do more than tweak.

There's no way of avoiding the conclusion staring at you. Clement didn't deviate from a clearly enunciated plan; we either recruited the wrong (did I mention 'novice'?) head coach due to a mismatch in style - and ambition according to Mel - or we appointed a (novice) head coach without actually covering these critical aspects with him.

That is why it is not so simple.

It simply makes no sense internally or it means we appointed a lanky bloke on the basis that he was photographed with Ancelotti a lot.

Mistakes happen?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Does the fact that he has ended up there not tell you anything?

Where were the other 30 odd teams between Stoke and Bristol City in the league pyramid?

Well after his 8 appearances last season and two serious knee injuries, hardly any goals and according to my west brom mate, the worst attitude he has ever seen in a footballer. I'm gutted we didn't get him.

anyone else wonder who OP actually supports? Burnley maybe? His posting is that of the classic fake deluded and never happy home supporter. He can't believe what he posted....... Surely not.......

18 minutes ago, KBB said:

Well after his 8 appearances last season and two serious knee injuries, hardly any goals and according to my west brom mate, the worst attitude he has ever seen in a footballer. I'm gutted we didn't get him.

anyone else wonder who OP actually supports? Burnley maybe? His posting is that of the classic fake deluded and never happy home supporter. He can't believe what he posted....... Surely not.......

Originally I thought he missed the letter B from the middle of his last 2 letters...

10 hours ago, RamDon said:

Can it actually get "old" when none of us understand it, none of us can even begin to defend such a foolish statement...and, probably most importantly, most of us can see the evidence which disproves it...so we're left wondering why Mel is lying so badly to us.

Or at least we HOPE he's lying about it because the alternative is even worse.

But I have still yet to see a quote where anyone has actually said we do not want promotion! I have seen one where it has been said that it is not the main priority this season.  Somewhat different statements to me obviously not to everyone. 

21 minutes ago, Derby_Dave_nee_Marilyn said:

But I have still yet to see a quote where anyone has actually said we do not want promotion! I have seen one where it has been said that it is not the main priority this season.  Somewhat different statements to me obviously not to everyone. 

Actions speak louder than words  :-)

http://m.burtonmail.co.uk/Derby-County-sack-head-coach-Paul-Clement-appoint/story-28694056-detail/story.html

20 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

"It was clear in this plan, which was briefed to supporters, players, sponsors and all our stakeholders last summer that promotion this season was not the primary target.

"The priorities were building on the Derby way and style of football enjoyed in the past two seasons; adding depth and strength to our playing squad and developing and improving player and team performance.

Read more: http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Derby-County-sack-head-coach-Paul-Clement-appoint/story-28694056-detail/story.html#ixzz42gbXbGkN 
Follow us: @BurtonMailNews on Twitter | BurtonNews on Facebook

That is the only reference in the article about promotion and targets.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

"It was clear in this plan, which was briefed to supporters, players, sponsors and all our stakeholders last summer that promotion this season was not the primary target.

"The priorities were building on the Derby way and style of football enjoyed in the past two seasons; adding depth and strength to our playing squad and developing and improving player and team performance.

Read more: http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Derby-County-sack-head-coach-Paul-Clement-appoint/story-28694056-detail/story.html#ixzz42gbXbGkN 
Follow us: @BurtonMailNews on Twitter | BurtonNews on Facebook

That is the only reference in the article about promotion and targets.

Hahaha, I was referring to appointing DW, hence why I put actions.....

2 minutes ago, Derby_Dave_nee_Marilyn said:

That's a fair enough clarification, I'll concede.

The quote which many, myself included , are converting slightly irresponsibly - whether from laziness with 'shorthand', frustration or plain, old eggbeating - was in the radio interview where he stated, as you say, that promotion was not the main priority, nor the main success measure, for this season.

However, Mel did repeatedly emphasise that Clement was cautioned to focus on style and player development in priority to winning promotion.

Unlike some, I have no difficulty acknowledging that I absolutely understood what he was trying to say; that, in essence, the wins would take care of themselves if the squad improved from an already high, if inconsistent, level of capability.

Archived