Butterfield proving his worth

North East Ram

I like Butterfield, but when/if we've got a fully fit midfield pool assuming we play 3 in there, it'll be Thorne, Hughes and a runner; Hendrick or Bryson. Butterfield won't get in.

He's easy on the eye when we're on top, but not as good as people think he is, IMO.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proving to be a great buy

Only problem I see for him is when we get Hughes back, because Thorne and Hughes are automatic starters for me, Bryson, Johnson or Hendrick will be the other one. Its one of the main reasons we need to offload some because you can't keep a big squad like ours happy long term. 

Be nice to see Thorne, Butters and Hughes just once in the same midfield 3 though :)  

Will be very difficult to choose the MF if everyone fit. Hughes is not a goal scorer but links up play and dictates game tempo. Butterfield scores goals and is a tidy all round player. Bryson has been great. Hendrick can be very good. Thorne is a rock when fit. 

A manager who can motivate and rotate these players, whilst playing a consistent style, is key for success. And that isn't easy.

Butterfield has been a standout performer this season. One thing that strikes me is he's one of the only midfielders we have who isn't afraid to take a shot. Sometimes you just have to accept you aren't going to carve a team open, and you need a bit of a wonderstrike, and having him on the pitch always gives us that chance.

In a midfield where we have 3 central players I find it hard to look past Thorne/Hughes/Butterfield. I think that would be the starting 3 more often than not - assuming Hughes doesn't regress post-injury. Less than 3 central midfielders and I'm not sure who you'd play until I've seen a fully fit hughes again. 

He's been our best signing and it's a shame our system and style of play hasn't been shaped more around him and his qualities rather than others. He's also been unfairly left out or subbed off in games as well as asked to play in positions that pretty much dilute what he offers a team. 

I reckon he'll only improve once he has Hughes and Thorne alongside him. Because that's surely the three, no? I'd maybe change my mind if the likes of Johnson, Bryson and Hendrick did something of not on a regular basis.

It'll be interesting to see if we try Thorne/Butters/Hughes and if it works. I suspect it'll end up being butters/hughes fighting for one spot and hendryson/johnson fighting for the other alongside the holding role which is becoming a GT/Hanson spot.

I just thank god we seem to have stopped thinking Hendrick or Johnson can be the holding player.

Archived