Favourite Dr Who

TheHomunculusLives

As a lifelong Whonatic, I've been enjoying catching up on the original series repeats on The Horror Channel (Freeview) in recent weeks. It's reminded me that the Stephen Moffat reincarnation simply isn't in the same league, although I did enjoy the Christopher Eccleston series and some of the early David Tennant episodes.

The old stories usually ran for a minimum of four episodes and were so much stronger in terms of their narratives and scripts (although perhaps not special effects!)

Tom Baker will always be number one for me, with Jon Pertwee next. But I do think Peter Davison is very underrated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

As a lifelong Whonatic, I've been enjoying catching up on the original series repeats on The Horror Channel (Freeview) in recent weeks. It's reminded me that the Stephen Moffat reincarnation simply isn't in the same league, although I did enjoy the Christopher Eccleston series and some of the early David Tennant episodes.

The old stories usually ran for a minimum of four episodes and were so much stronger in terms of their narratives and scripts (although perhaps not special effects!)

Tom Baker will always be number one for me, with Jon Pertwee next. But I do think Peter Davison is very underrated.

Go to go with what i remember most, so has to be tom baker with K9. Did enjoy through to Colin Baker...wasnt keen on Sylvester McCoy and stopped watching then. Remember watching the 5 doctors when young, really loved it.

Davison for me. Largely because he was the Doctor when I first watched it. 

Moffat needs to go back to writing one or two stories a year. They used to be the best stories of the season but now he's overseeing the whole series he's spreading himself too thin.

The year off this year has come at just the right time, and Moffat is right to now (well, next year) as well.

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Thing is though, if they get rid of Doctor Who then it's just another hour that they'll fill with pap like Robin Hood, Merlin or Atlantis, or God forbid, more reality garbage. Better the devil you know! :lol:

Could bring football back to the BBC but it would mean getting rid of Strictly

Obviously loved Tom Baker & Peter Davidson to a lesser extent because they were the ones I grew up with. I remember the Baker-Davidson regeneration episode set at Joddrell Bank was a big TV occasion at the time.

Looking at a few of the older ones at the moment on Horror channel and am enjoying a lot of the John Pertwee ones I was too young for first time round.

I remember reading once (at the time of Silvester McCoy) that the budget for a whole series of Dr Who was the same as one episode of Red Dwarf. Hardly surprising that it was poo then.

For me, Matt Smith has got to be the worst. I found his constantly stupid manic style really annoying.

I'm still catching up with the latest series and enjoying it but it's probably gone a bit too dark & confusing for a lot of kids.

Archived