Pay up Pompey

vicky-27

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still trying to make signings............

Portsmouth have completed the signing of Stoke defender Ibrahima Sonko on a season-long loan.

Pompey, currently subject to a transfer embargo, are now awaiting Football League approval for the deal.

Sonko, 29, has made just 17 appearances for Stoke since joining from Reading in September 2008.

Pompey boss Steve Cotterill told the club website: "He's been a bit unlucky during his time at Stoke. He just needs to get back playing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8828912.stm

• 3 weeks later...

Portsmouth could go out of business if they lose their court case against the tax authorities on Thursday, according to the club's lawyer.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs says it is owed £13m more than the £24m claimed by Portsmouth's administrators.

Richard Sheldon QC says that if HMRC wins, the club will "not be able to give the Football League the assurances it needs to fulfil its fixtures".

"It will go out of the league. The club will probably be liquidated," he added.

High Court judge Mr Justice Mann, who is overseeing the tax liability case, will hand down his decision between 1500 BST and 1600 BST on Thursday.

Portsmouth's lawyer, Sheldon, added that if the club loses the case then it would prevent former owner Balram Chainrai, who put the club into administration in February, buying it for a second time.

Sheldon added: "If the club is not sold it will clearly be relegated out of the Football League.

"The administrators cannot give the assurances needed that this season's fixtures can be completed.

"It will then go out of the Football League and into some distant league, but the reality is that it will probably go into liquidation because the administrators will not be able to fund the continued business."

Earlier on Wednesday Sheldon claimed that Premier League clubs wanted Portsmouth to go bust last season when the full extent of their financial problems emerged.

Sheldon told the court that it was only the intervention of Premier League chief Richard Scudamore that saved the club.

The other clubs wanted "to boot Pompey out there and then", Sheldon said.

He added: "The clubs wanted Portsmouth to go to the wall and divide all the TV money among themselves."

That prospect was avoided, however, when Scudamore persuaded the clubs to give Pompey an early parachute payment, allowing them to complete the season.

Portsmouth, who remain in administration, were docked nine points for becoming the first Premier League club to go into administration and were duly relegated at the end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8886009.stm

I hope they don't go out of buisness

I like Pompey and a lot of my family support them so I have a soft spot them for them.

But the thing is it's not fair that they have won the FA Cup and were able to stay in a solid top half position in the Premiership with world class players using money that wasn't theirs.

But it's just modern day football. When banks weren't willing to lend irresponsibly to any business this wouldn't have happened. Derby County and Nottingham wouldn't have been able to in debt of tens of millions to win what they did. Portsmouth have done exactly this.

Technically the club shouldn't exist. If I didn't have a soft spot for them then I'd be saying Liquidate them.

They better go down or I'm never gunna pay a tax bill AGAIN!:mad:

It'd be nice if you had the large team of Lawyers and big stacks of brown envelopes (to throw round the HMRC offices ;) ) Pompey probably have ready for the hearing.

If you don't it's jail for folks like me and you.

It's very unfair. :mad:

Shut em down, and teach all these fly by night foreign investor that this is not acceptable.

Portsmouth winding up would be a big message for modern day football. A real indictment for the irresponsibility of these takeovers and short sighted spending.

In fact it could change football a lot. This would be a good thing, but it would come at a great cost for the fans of Portsmouth. It's them I ultimately feel sorry for. They've seen some great years at Fratton Park but it's likely to cost them the club they hold dear.

Yes I agree, they ought to pursue the chairman, and not the company maybe.

The chairman and the rest of these people who've made silly decisions, putting the club in debt are basically criminals.

But it won't be them who pay it will be a historic club that thousands of people have loved for as long as they've been born.

Though the club has to pay really it's the way it works.

Cucumber is right. If it was our local chippy that failed to pay its taxes then it probably would have one hearing and that would be the end.

But I'm sure judges have been handed brown envelopes. Or they're scared to be the first people to do something like this to a business and they're not prepared for the later repercussions (appeals, death threats etc).

The chairman and the rest of these people who've made silly decisions, putting the club in debt are basically criminals.

But it won't be them who pay it will be a historic club that thousands of people have loved for as long as they've been born.

Though the club has to pay really it's the way it works.

Cucumber is right. If it was our local chippy that failed to pay its taxes then it probably would have one hearing and that would be the end.

But I'm sure judges have been handed brown envelopes. Or they're scared to be the first people to do something like this to a business and they're not prepared for the later repercussions (appeals, death threats etc).

In your opinion Joe, you're just obviously assuming as any of the Queens Council could never be bought.:eek:

Archived