The most EXCITING Derby County game that I saw live.

Rampage

Have to agree with that Kev. I have never experienced anything like the atmosphere in the BBG that night. The second half was just amazing, and as you say, the crowd were ramped up. Still get goose bumps when I think of it.

That night is the basis on why the older generation support DCFC through tick and thin, although the younger members may not realise the importance of that famous win. It was a moment in time when as Max Boyce would  say "I was there"

At that time Derby were a second rate team with an average attendance of 13,000 and plodding along at the lower levels of the 2nd division, Clough had  transformed not only the team but the City, it was an awakening of a footballing town.

Chelsea were a glamous side in those days 'Debs delight' and the League Cup was a major trophy, we played them off the park and Mackay was the man of the match, From that day we believed and Clough delivered.

I still go every season hoping that that we can achieve the same atmosphere and excitment that famous night produced.

There have been other great nights, Benifica, Real Madrid etc. but the Chelsea game was the night that changed our lives forever.

I suspect that the average age of current season ticket holders is around 60 years of age and it was all due to that unbelievable night.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously the Southampton game, but that's the occasion. Of the actual match, we played rubbish, scored two goals from set pieces and was far too defensive, culminating in Rasiak scoring a last minute winner (agg. equaliser).

Also Bywater went walkabouts in that game, the donkey.

In the earlier Premier League seasons we had some cracking games. I remember watching us beat Liverpool 3-2, was a real end-to-end clash.

We've had some decent games in the Championship, but none ever match the quality of those PL clashes. Take our 4-4 with Ipswich, I think five of the eight goals came from corners or freekicks.

Big difference between best games ie, quality play, and most exciting as in pure gut wrenching, nerve shredding, orgasmic, nail biters.....

The Southampton play off SF is a great example, shockingly bad game in many respects but as many others have said, the absolute sheer joy at the end makes it live long in the memory.......the 10 men at the City Ground was up there......waiting for the final whistle at Wembley 2007.......Palace.......Rotherham........Fulham at home 82......Stoke away LC QF 2008.......tight, close, horrible games, could have gone either way....absolutely brilliant, give me one of those rather than a spanking of Arsenal, Man United or Real Madrid any day.

Archived