Academy Restructuring

Derby County has today confirmed details of a coaching staff restructure within their Academy set-up.

A year on from Derby achieving Category 1 Academy status, the changes have been made to ensure that the club continues to fall in line with the Elite Player Performance Plan guidelines.

It was confirmed last week that Lee Glover (Senior Professional Development Coach) and Steve Taylor (Professional Development Coach) – who were responsible for Derby’s Under 21 side - will be leaving their positions from 1st July 2015.

As a result of their impending departures, Academy Manager Darren Wassall, assisted by Pat Lyons, will manage the club’s Under 21 side from the 2015/16 season onwards.

With Wassall and Lyons overseeing the Under 21s, Derby’s Under 18 side will be under new management for the upcoming season.

Former Derby midfielder Rory Delap, along with Justin Walker, will take charge of the Under 18s after previously holding a coaching position within the Academy working with the Under 16s and 15s.

Delap made in excess of 100 appearances for the club between 1998 and 2001, after joining from Carlisle United, and also went on to turn out for Southampton, Sunderland, Stoke City, Barnsley and Burton Albion before announcing his retirement last year.

Walker has also held positions in Derby’s Academy in recent years working with a number of the younger age groups, including the Under 16s and 15s alongside Delap in recent months.

Walker, who was a midfielder in his professional career, turned out for a number of clubs, including Ssausagehorpe United, Lincoln City, Exeter City, Cambridge United, York City, Chester City, Ilkeston and FC Halifax Town between 1997 and 2008.

Derby are also adding to their Academy staff with former Ram John Barton taking up the role of Academy Operations Manager.

Barton turned out for Derby between 1983 and 1985, and already has strong links with Derby’s Academy following his work for the League Football Education in his role as their Midlands Regional Officer.

Commenting on today’s announcement, Wassall said: “Today is a brand new start for the Academy with the Under 21s reporting back for duty and the Under 18s also returning later in the week.

“I will remain as Academy Manager but will take charge of the Under 21s, along with Pat Lyons, for the new season.

“With the Under 18s, Rory Delap and Justin Walker are two talented coaches and they work well together – so the natural progression for them was to step up to manage that age group after working with the Under 15s and Under 16s and we’re excited about their partnership.

“The changes have all been made with the good of the Academy in mind and we feel we have a very good blend and balance within the coaching set-up that we have.

“The Academy, under the Elite Player Performance Plan, is ever-evolving and developing.”

He added: “In addition to the coaching appointments, John Barton coming in as Academy Operations Manager is an important arrival; he is a great addition to the team.

“Having someone of John’s experience is a real help and he is someone I have known a long time, and having him on board will help free up more of my time to be out on the coaching field.

“It’s an exciting time for the Academy but we’re working extremely hard to push the boundaries and maintain the high standards that have been set.”

The club’s President & Chief Executive Sam Rush said: “We have an excellent Academy here at Derby County – both in terms of the structure and staff - and we’re pleased to be in a position to confirm the new roles.

“All of the appointments are vital to the way the Academy operates and it is crucial to maintain the communication and relationship between the Academy and the first-team.

“As we strive for success on the pitch with the first team under our newly appointed Head Coach Paul Clement, the Academy is also very much at the forefront of our minds.”

He added: “Darren Wassall and his team have worked tirelessly to ensure that Derby County have not only achieved the highest possible category status, but to maintain the high standards that have been implemented.

“The facilities at the Training Centre have developed considerably in the last year and it is extremely pleasing that the reputation of our Academy continues to grow.”

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-confirm-academy-staff-restructure-2510695.aspx#de17KRUcdi1644Mx.99

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe, sorry SaintRam, beaten by a matter of a minute.

It's OK - I had some problems copying the page for some reason. Delayed me. Oh well, suppose I should be working anyway :lol:

Is this a promotion or demotion for Wassell? I'd like to think a promotion but it feels like he was running the academy before and now he's just managing the u21s...

“I will remain as Academy Manager but will take charge of the Under 21s, along with Pat Lyons, for the new season."

He's managing the U21s as well as managing the Academy

Is this a promotion or demotion for Wassell? I'd like to think a promotion but it feels like he was running the academy before and now he's just managing the u21s...

I read this as the u21s being a separate entity to u18s down - or 'the Academy'. Whereas now, it all appears to be The Academy.

Archived