Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

I thought there might be a chance of getting Barton with McClaren in charge as I'd seen Barton speaking highly of him in an interview.

Not sure if he would be the new manager's cup of tea whoever that turns out to be. I think he would be handy to have around, Jake would enlighten him if he got a bit lairy so no worries on his off field behaviour.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Albentosa is a right sided CB whereas we need a left sided CB now Whitbread left. 

​That's what you took out of that whole post?      :lol:

I would argue that Buxton is a more than adequate left sided centre half.

1 player out of a whole back 4 doesn't dictate the form of the others. Christie and Forsyth showed that defensively they weren't good enough when it mattered. 

​That's what you took out of that whole post?      :lol:

I would argue that Buxton is a more than adequate left sided centre half.

1 player out of a whole back 4 doesn't dictate the form of the others. Christie and Forsyth showed that defensively they weren't good enough when it mattered. 

​I think it was one of the most important factors. When Whitbread came back the defence looked a lot more solid, it meant we had to play Forsyth at CB for a few games and that didn't work out.

I would say the first priority of any new coach would be the acquisition of a first choice defensive midfielder , I know I risk the wrath of many by not counting George Thorne as first choice , but can he be relied upon for the majority of next season , is it worth the risk ? , IMO no , it was the main contributory factor in last seasons failure , coupled with Eustace's injury.

Better safe than sorry .

​I think it was one of the most important factors. When Whitbread came back the defence looked a lot more solid, it meant we had to play Forsyth at CB for a few games and that didn't work out.

​Whitbread's return didn't stop the downward spiral...

The defence as a whole just isn't good enough and when they were exposed by the lack of CDM, this showed through.

​Whitbread's return didn't stop the downward spiral...

The defence as a whole just isn't good enough and when they were exposed by the lack of CDM, this showed through.

​Whitbreads return helped the defence a lot though. As soon as he came on against Brentford we looked a lot more confident, Keogh didn't have to worry about a miss pass by his CB partner and Forsyth could attack more without having to focus more on his defending side.

When we played Blackpool we looked more defensively solid, I know it was only Blackpool, but the defence seemed more assured and calm and when we played Huddersfield we only conceded as soon as Whitbread came off through injury.

I agree that the loss of the CDM meant that our defences weaknesses were exposed and we really need a new CDM as Thorne is injury prone and Eustace is 35.

Fozzy and Christie were downright awful at times last year, particularly Christie. We do need a new full-back - it's no use blaming their performance on the centre-halves alongside them. Sammon still wouldn't be very good if he played in a front three with C Ronaldo and Suarez, and it's the same thing here. Imo we need a right-back who is excellent defensively, so that when attacking, Fozzy can really get forward and we form a back three. Wisdom would be the ideal, but he'd be difficult to get as he probably wouldn't want to drop down a division after playing reasonably regularly in the Prem. If we'd have gone up, I'd be targeting Micah Richards, but obviously that's not going to happen in the Championship. Ultimately, I think we'll see someone coming in from abroad.

Also, I don't think we need a "commanding" left-sided centre-half. We already have big centre-backs in Keogh and Albentosa. We need someone to complement their strength and ability to head the ball - somebody who is a bit quicker and is good at passing. Then Bucko on the bench, as he can play either right or left side, and can do either of those roles pretty well. For that reason I'd sell Keogh - Albentosa has much more potential, and Keogh's value will be high after the team of the year selection. I could see one of the promoted sides going for him.

After that we need two wingers - ideally Ince, and one other to replace the loss of Ward. Again, I think we should invest in cheap foreign talent. I'd like to see Dawkins playing centrally, so one of Bennett, Calero and Santos needs to step up. Finally, we'll get a back-up striker - Bent if he comes cheap; otherwise someone like LeFondre or Chris Wood would do just fine.

With those signings and a healthy Thorne, I think we'd be a much stronger team than last year. 

​Whitbreads return helped the defence a lot though. As soon as he came on against Brentford we looked a lot more confident, Keogh didn't have to worry about a miss pass by his CB partner and Forsyth could attack more without having to focus more on his defending side.

When we played Blackpool we looked more defensively solid, I know it was only Blackpool, but the defence seemed more assured and calm and when we played Huddersfield we only conceded as soon as Whitbread came off through injury.

I agree that the loss of the CDM meant that our defences weaknesses were exposed and we really need a new CDM as Thorne is injury prone and Eustace is 35.

​Thorne isn't injury prone, he's had 2 unfortunate freak injuries which have put him out for lengthy spells. I'm confident he'll be fully fit going into next season.

Like I said 1 player does not dictate the form of the whole back 4. Christie was apalling the 2nd half of the season, no doubt about it. We're lacking quality in the back 4, there's no two ways about it...

I'd like to see us play similar to Middlesborough with two holding midfielders then at least if one is injured you revert to old system. This would be Thorne and A n other. Eustace as back up. Just think it gives the front 4 a lot more freedom might even see Bryson back to his best then bombing on again

​Thorne isn't injury prone, he's had 2 unfortunate freak injuries which have put him out for lengthy spells. I'm confident he'll be fully fit going into next season.

Like I said 1 player does not dictate the form of the whole back 4. Christie was apalling the 2nd half of the season, no doubt about it. We're lacking quality in the back 4, there's no two ways about it...

​1 player does dictate the whole back four. 1 weak link in a defence can cause the rest to collapse, especially at CB.

I'd like to see us play similar to Middlesborough with two holding midfielders then at least if one is injured you revert to old system. This would be Thorne and A n other. Eustace as back up. Just think it gives the front 4 a lot more freedom might even see Bryson back to his best then bombing on again

​Yeah, I would love to play a 4-2-3-1 with Thorne and someone else. Mascarell and Thorne would be perfect in that formation, maybe Clement would be able to bring him in. 

​Who are you referring to? Forsyth, Albentosa or Shotton?

​I would say that the biggest weak link was the left sided CB, ever since Buxton got injured we couldn't fill that place and conceded more. Other problems we had were at RB as Christie's form had dropped a lot. 

​Lottery numbers please

​Thorne has had the exact same injury on different knees. He's been ridiculously unlucky!

So it's not like Ward's recurring hamstring injury, Thorne has just had two unfortunate, lengthy injuries from the second of which, we rushed him back too early from which led to complications.

I'm hoping with a good rest and solid pre-season, he will be fit and firing heading into the next campaign.

​I would say that the biggest weak link was the left sided CB, ever since Buxton got injured we couldn't fill that place and conceded more. Other problems we had were at RB as Christie's form had dropped a lot. 

​I realise that but when you referenced 1 player causing the rest to collapse, which specific player were you referring to?

Paul Mcshane, just been released from Hull, think he would be a very astute signing at this level with his experience. Watched his last couple of Hull games and he played really well. Seen some of their fans are gutted hes leaving.

​I realise that but when you referenced 1 player causing the rest to collapse, which specific player were you referring to?

​No specific player, just the weak link at left sided role. It mean we had to play players out of position like Forsyth and Albentosa who were not very successful there, but I don't blame them as they were played out of position. 

Archived