Major changes needed?

BenDavies44

It's clear to anyone who's even taken the slightest interest in Derby that things haven't been right with the team since late January. Majorly the defense. The same defense that was braking records for keeping clean sheets in six successive games? The reason we was still in with a chance of gaining a play off place until the last day is due to the lethal goal scoring form of Darren Bent & Tom Ince, both who which look unlikely to be staying with us. So with all that in mind, how do you think things will change for next season?

Starting with the defense. As I earlier refered to, this is the same defense that broke records earlier on in the season with the amount of clean sheets it was keeping. No doubting, the defense has looked more than shaky in the 2nd half of the season but I believe this is just down to the lack of a defensive midfielder. With Thorne back and match fit I think that'll solve a big part of the problem. However, still feel we will need atleast a GK, RB & LB. In goals, we have been linked to Marshall and I think he could be the answer replacing Grant who has been unconvincing to say the least. At RB I believe we could have a chance to get Andre Wisdom. He has struggled to get on the pitch at a Premier League team fighting relegation I think him signing for us where he has successful previously could be realistic. At left back their aren't too many targets which stand out. You have the likes of Mings & Friend who are two of the better Championship left backs but are both attracting Premier League interest so signing either of them would prove near impossible. Maybe Targett the young left back from Southampton? So that'd line us up; Mashall, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Targett.

The one major change I can see to our midfield is the departure of Hughes. I don't want to see him go but I feel we need the money from him to improve key areas in the team, hopefully we can get 10m+ for him. It's imperative George Thorne stays fit, he can be the difference defensively and offensively for us as we have seen. I think Hendrick needs to step up also if Hughes does go, he seems to go missing in games. I also feel Bryson could go which'd leave us 2 central midfielders light. With Eustace also out of contract I think their will be quite a few midfield signings. For a defensive midfielder i'd like to see us go for Rohan Ince from Brighton. Good young player. Looks a powerhouse and good technically, could partner Thorne if we're trying to see a game out. Not sure who we'd get in the two more advanced central midfield areas. One maybe Mowatt from Leeds, though i'm not sure on the fee they'd demand. Also, highly rate Kayal from Brighton, box to box player like Bryson, can't see him wanting to stay given their league position. Not sure who'd start out of Kayal & Mowatt. 

In the wide areas I also feel their will a lot of change, especially with the departures of Ince & Lingard. I also feel Ward & Dawkins will depart in a search for first team football (can't blame them really). That'd leave us with only Russell remaining out wide, meaning we need to sign at least 3 wingers. One winger i'd like us to approach is Carayol. Was one of Middlesbrough's best players last season before picking up a bad injury seeing him miss the majority of the season. He's now on loan at Brighton. Another player I think is a realistic target is McClearly from Reading. I believe he should be playing for a team challenging and I assume he feels like this also so would perhaps be favorable to this move. The final winger I could see us getting on loan as appose to breaking the bank on 3 wingers. Maybe Antony Knockaert who's struggled to get into the Leicester team this season due to the tactical change to not use wingers, he looked very good last time he was in the Championship.

Finally to the strikers. I can't see Bent staying with us purely down to the fact we'd have to pay all 70k of his wages. That is just unrealistic for a Championship team looking to abide by FFP. I can't see anyone being interested in Sammon. With Martin, I feel we would've struggled to keep hold of him, however due to him needing surgery on his leg, I feel a lot of teams will not go for him as a result of this. Bent still needs to be replaced. I'd like us to go for a similar type of player to him. Someone who's very quick and can get in behind and finish. Someone reasonably young preferably. Nahki Wells could fit that bill.

Final team; Marshall; Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Targett; Thorne, Hendrick, Mowatt/Kayal; Russell/McCleary, Carayol/Knockaert, Martin.

Not sure how realistic this could be but it's a team I wouldn't mind and just my opinion, feel free to leave your own.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived