Macs Permanent signings

Papahet

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had a serious ankle injury in 2012 I think it was,  knee injuries and now it's the tight that's becoming a regular occurrence.

We are a better footballing side with Thorne in the eleven without question, but i'm more confident of a win with Eustace playing the role. 

At this moment in time i'd take a 3 points everytime over pretty football.

For a start is it actually fair to call them Macs signings - now that there is a division of responsibility between the role of the coach and the role of the Director of Football - or whatever Chris Evans  is called now?

My biggest fear is that there is a bit of friction at times between the acquisitions team and the coaching team.

certainly the comments attributed to eric steele seem to suggest some criticism. 

Reviewing an 11 of the permanent new signings......

roos - was hailed as an eric steele find, however it is noticeable that he belongs to the Full Contact sports agency that brought us many of the other young players. He has been ok for the u21s whilst prone to occasionally losing his bearings on crosses. But when Grant got injured, schteve didn't trust Roos with the jersey. Looks a good prospect but at 22 he should be breathing down Grant's neck.

christie - looked great when he arrived. Comfortable on the ball and a threat going forwards. His confidence is now shattered and the in/out in/out selection policy seems to have left him on the floor. Schteve clearly doesn't have confidence in him. it was perhaps noticeable when he signed that schteve talked him down as a squad player. I really hope we can rebuild him, but i suspect not.

warnock - another puzzle. Seemingly signed as cover. The problem with signing players as cover, is that we overload the bench with players who are no better than what we have. Since schteve likes big tall defenders it seems unlikely that warnock will displace fozzy. Its now or never for warnock after forsyths recent displays.

shotton - i think we signed shotton to replace keogh when keogh was delaying signing his new contract. Keogh eventually signed which meant shotton was just a squad player. He has good moments and bad moments. He is not good enough to play full back and is a bit dozy for a centre back, but is decent cover.

Albentosa - Given Eric Steele's supposed comments I even wonder whether mcclaren ever wanted Albentosa. perhaps the acquisitions team thought he was too good to miss, whilst Schteve wasn't that bothered.Schteve doesn't seem to sing his praises. I suspect they think he is ok but that we didn't need yet another right sided centre back - which is probably true.

thorne - i think thorne was a schteve suggestion based on his knowledge of the young england players. He was magnificent last season and was a no brainer signing. Unfortunately we have totally mismanaged his injury. The medical advice states that a player who has suffered this injury IS prone to the injury; that fatigue is the highest risk factor; that the highest risk of an injury or repeat injury is in the 12 -18 months following recovery. George needed careful handling. The pre-season decision to deliberately  fatigue the players with a full training session prior to playing a full match was the worst possible thing to do with george. Whether it was a factor in his injury we don't know, but it was still the worst possible thing to do. As was playing him again before he had had 8-10 games to rebuild his strength and fitness. He appears to be struggling with the injury and i fear another long lay-off plus more surgery. Our fault - not his.

bunjaku - has not yet been anywhere near the first team, but looked good when i saw him in the u21s v Arsenal. I think he could get an opportunity next season if we are still in this league. One of the batch associated with Full Contact.

koblenz - see bunjaku but no quite as good.

dawkins - was a schteve signing. He seems further from the team now than at any point in his Derby career. Clearly has ability but probably not as a winger. He'll get another chance when the loan players disappear but will his confidence be affected like christie?

no9 - we haven't signed one - which is presumably the point that eric steele was making.

Calero - see bunjaku. 

personally i think the signings have generally been ok without there being any spectacular successes but its time to raise the bar by several notches and sign players that make us better - not simply more of the same.

not bad for one season though.

Our fans are half the problem, some of the ***** spouted before signing the likes of Thorne and Albentosa was so cringeworthy it was unbelievable. They've built these players' reputations up, nobody else. Then when things don't quite work out people go full circle and go on the attack. 

It's always the usual suspects who whine.

The saying 'Empty vessels make most noise' is especially apt with some of our fan base.

How have the fans built a players reputation up?

The club must have posted three or four videos of Albentosa the day he signed

This for me is building a player up and is bound to get fans excited regarding a/the signing, I won't even mention the hype surrounding Thorne when he signed; Vine, Twitter, Youtube, Snapchat Facebook, Bebo you name it..

All are very average signings and made no impact whatsoever this season, bar the odd cameo from Thorne.

Thorne and Shotton are both very good players who will become important players for Derby.

Albentosa I have hopes for.

Christie played well at the start of the season.  If he had no ability he wouldn't have done that.  I think he could get his confidence back and become a decent player.

Dawkins, I agree he is poor.

Warnock, heaven knows how bad he must be in training if Forsyth continues to be the better player.

Thorne and Shotton are both very good players who will become important players for Derby.

Albentosa I have hopes for.

Christie played well at the start of the season.  If he had no ability he wouldn't have done that.  I think he could get his confidence back and become a decent player.

Dawkins, I agree he is poor.

Warnock, heaven knows how bad he must be in training if Forsyth continues to be the better player.

if SM is on his way to Newcastle ......   just a thought , But  how many of the current squad  especially  the better players ... will still be here next season ...plus  surely the next person to take over from SM  will  want to bring his own players in  ...!!!!!!!

Bent , Ince , Lingard ..wil return to the own clubs

can we keep Hughes , Martin ,  ...   very much doubt it ....  

Archived