OK, who broke it this time?

Wolfie

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expect another one later today or tomorrow.

I'll try to explain in simple terms.

When we moved from the old server to the new the charset was altered in the upload process, this screwed up the forum. I didn't realise it.

Software developers noticed it and what they did was duplicate the database in the same database which sent it well over 1GB (max database size allowed is 1GB)

Yesterday when I took the forum offline for a bit I removed the duplicates and destroyed all old images for Google.

This reduced the database down to 600mb.

Since this a lot of people have noticed a vast improvement, I'm not surprised. Not enough for me tho I want to take it down further and make it quicker.

Theres an option to archive topics over X amount of days, they will still be on the site, you can still find them but they are moved to a separate database, so when we have X amount users online opening topics it won't have to open a table of 700k posts.

Now the problem is I've ran this archive took before and unarchived them when I had tried to fix the image problem (I can't edit archived posts), I need to reset this status so the forum thinks they have never been archived before. To do this I need to take a backup and that means take the forum offline whilst I do this, I noticed a couple of more things in the database that may need to be reset so I'm playing it safe and contacting the software developers to double check before I steam ahead.

Confused? tl;dr? Trying to speed the forum up, might be offline again later for 10 minutes or tomorrow.

Archived