tinkerman

RamNut

dear me

The 352 was terrible.

Full backs totally exposed. The opposition able to carry the ball unchallenged 50 or 60 yards down the flanks.

Keogh at his most skittish when given more opportunity to receive the ball.

No width other than asking the full backs to be wing backs and do it their own.

Poor.

Surely he could see that in training.

Then a 442 with a diamond. A bit one dimensional.

Martin deep and bent and Russell up front.

Ok martin can link with bent but still no width.

Still no protection for the full backs

Didn't really look right.

Finally - last 20 mins - back to 433 and we look ourselves.

It can work with bent instead of martin.

(Even with Dawkins showing his limitations once again)

Now stop fooking about with the formation.

Rotate martin and bent if need be but otherwise lets get back to a settled system.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you listen to his post match interview, McClaren explains that he wanted to use this game to try a couple of formations. Even said he understood that it would be frustrating for fans, but he wanted to try them in a real game situation.

For any fan crying out for a plan B...

If you listen to his post match interview, McClaren explains that he wanted to use this game to try a couple of formations. Even said he understood that it would be frustrating for fans, but he wanted to try them in a real game situation.

For any fan crying out for a plan B...

This.

You can't moan at us trying to find one though.

The system we have is fine.

We just chop and change the personnel too much.

And we need an alternative to martin.

Don't really get this "3-5-2 was ****" stuff. What do people expect? We played it for 45 mins for God's sake. If you'd just seen us playing our regular system in the 2nd half against Forest you might think, "4-3-3 is ****". How about - and I know this is a wild, out there idea - we actually give things a chance?

People who moan whenever we change system annoy me almost as much as the ones who keep demanding that we change it.

We didn't find a plan b.

There was definitely promise in Russell, Bent and Martin as a sort of forward triangle, shame Russell went off before we could see it any longer.

Not suggesting we go keeping it or anything but it's there.

Don't really get this "3-5-2 was ****" stuff. What do people expect? We played it for 45 mins for God's sake. If you'd just seen us playing our regular system in the 2nd half against Forest you might think, "4-3-3 is ****". How about - and I know this is a wild, out there idea - we actually give things a chance?

People who moan whenever we change system annoy me almost as much as the ones who keep demanding that we change it.

My problem with it is that it showed exactly what the problem with the system is.

If you've seen the likes of Neville picking apart Van Gaal's use of it, ours mirrored that.

It keeps the centre backs on the ball far too much, especially when they are the worst ball players in the team. Forsyth and Christie equally are great overlap men, but never going to do anything with a ball to feet. When the ball went behind the wing backs, both Keogh and Buxton had no idea what to do. Lost count of the amount of times there was a cross field switch on for them with a guy in at least 35 yards of space.

In just 45mins we displayed everything that's wrong with playing that formation.

My problem with it is that it showed exactly what the problem with the system is.

If you've seen the likes of Neville picking apart Van Gaal's use of it, ours mirrored that.

It keeps the centre backs on the ball far too much, especially when they are the worst ball players in the team. Forsyth and Christie equally are great overlap men, but never going to do anything with a ball to feet. When the ball went behind the wing backs, both Keogh and Buxton had no idea what to do. Lost count of the amount of times there was a cross field switch on for them with a guy in at least 35 yards of space.

In just 45mins we displayed everything that's wrong with playing that formation.

Yep. I had a rant to the guys I sit with before the game, and listed everything I thought would go wrong with the formation. And lo and behold, everything I said happened. It's okay saying try something, but there's no point trying something that is so obviously going to fail. 352 is literally the worst thing we could do with this bunch of players - it exposes all of our weaknesses and nullifies all of our strengths.

The diamond 442 was interesting and worth trying. It still leaves us very exposed out wide, and I think because of that it hampers the 2 central midfielders (it's those 2 that need to get out wide and help the fullbacks), but it does give us a way to get Martin more involved.

Did you go?

You wouldn't want another 45 minutes.

Honestly it's these type of derby fans that wouldn't be happy if we were too of the premiership... We tried something, we didn't concede with it and we scored while playing it! What's so terrible about that?

We scored from a set piece, created nothing else from open play, and gifted them half a dozen decent chances including 2 sitters. We could easily have been 2-0 or 3-0 down at half time, and probably would have been against a decent championship club.

Did you go?

You wouldn't want another 45 minutes.

Yep, I went. I can't help but think you're exaggerating somewhat - it was nowhere near that bad. Nowhere near. They had just as much time and space on the ball during the 2nd half when we played the diamond and our regular system.

The issue was that Christie and Forsyth aren't familiar with playing as wingbacks, but that's why you try it in a match like this. Besides, Christie and Forsyth have been sub par for much of the season even in our usual system.

Yep, I went. I can't help but think you're exaggerating somewhat - it was nowhere near that bad. Nowhere near. They had just as much time and space on the ball during the 2nd half when we played the diamond and our regular system.

The issue was that Christie and Forsyth aren't familiar with playing as wingbacks, but that's why you try it in a match like this. Besides, Christie and Forsyth have been sub par for much of the season even in our usual system.

Well said!

Archived