Johhny Russell

-JW-

Considering he's not been playing much he is still contributing an awful lot to the team.

He had the second most assists in the league prior to tonight's game, and won the penalty for the goal.

How was his general play tonight, and how was his beard?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get frustrated by him quite a lot, in the fact he will do bugger all or look gash for nearly the whole game... Often miss a glaring opportunity but then still manages to grab and assist or goal. If only he could turn the flashes into 90minute performances.

I thought that tonight he did give a good, consistent performance over the 90 minutes - better than some of the overall performances we have had from him so far this season. His second half was better than his first in general, but that was true of more than just him, and he grew into the game. The penalty he won was one of several drives into the box and down the wing and he also had an excellent shot just tipped over the bar. But his tracking back and covering was also very good at times and we needed that tonight.

He will probably now get a run of games with Wardy out and hopefully tonight will encourage him to put in some consistent performances.

Loses the ball too often, his decision making is often shocking and his finishing can be atrocious.

Having said that, he creates more opportunities than our other wingers (despite not playing much) and his work rate is brilliant. If we give him a good run of games, I reckon he'll be hard to keep out of the side.

At the end of the day, all we really need from our wingers and midfielders is to put the ball on a plate for Big Chris and chip in with the odd goal here and there. Johnny does that perfectly fine.

Work rate good. Created more and kept ball more in second half. Missed when clean through in first half after quick fozzie free kick

Also played threw in first few minutes but first touch too heavy

Had a great run near end , looked certain to score but last touch and defenders blocked him.....when Martin was screaming for ball

Definitely one of his best performances ....just needs to not lose ball as much.

Work rate was superb, and crunching tackle near the end in front of away end

He's the best player we can call on when we're looking to play on counter attacks. He doesn't seem to lose pace when on the ball.

His flick on Saturday was nice too.

I still think he's so much of a good substitute that he's more use coming off the bench.

Don't they call them impact players. Either that or when we're expecting to be pinned back by better opposition.

Archived