Flashback: 1972 and 1975 Champions

AmericanRam

Great video I found today via DET. I am sure most have watched this or where actually there during these times, but first time I watched this video and it was great seeing Clough talk about these squads and their accomplishments.  :D

For those that were around during these times, what are your most fondest memories of these great seasons in Rams history? Favorite match? Player? etc.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well..... That brought back a few memories

The Training

The players would get changed at the Baseball Ground, jump inside a Ford Transit minibus, no seat belts in those days, pile in as the best you could, drive down to the training ground on Sinfin Lane, a couple of hours of Clough wisdom then back in the bus to the Baseball Ground!

Training ground..................sort of well tended field with a railway goods carriage lock up for the posts and nets, no changing facilities, don't think they even had any water down there.

The players

Mackay, Gemmill, Rioch, Carlin, George, Lee, Nish, Durban, Hinton, Robson, where do you start! It's all about partnerships, Todd and McFarland were and probably will always be the best defensive partnership ever to play for Derby. Hector and O'Hare are the best forward partnership I've seen. O'Hare was a fantastic target man, any good in the air, nope, any pace, nope, bash defenders about, nope. First touch, brilliant, back to goal, brilliant, bringing other players into the game, brilliant. Hector was Hector, how anyone can float over 3 inches of Baseball Ground mud, leave a couple of defenders in his wake and then tuck it in the far corner is still a scientific mystery to me! Long live the King!

Clough..... How long we got! Typical Clough Week

..........getting Gerald Mortimer to type his resignation letter, the "Bring Back Clough" campaign, the supporters march through town when he left, the supporters march through town when he came back to say he wasn't coming back, the players strike, turning up in the Directors box to chants and cheers while the Chairman gets boooooed!

The Matches

Juventus, Benfica, Watney Cup final, Real Madrid nope.

Newcastle United 0 v Derby County 1 September 1969.

First season in Division1, unbeaten in 10 matches taking on the winners of the Fairs Cup (young uns just google it) and after a goal from Roy McFarland my team Derby County were top of the league............the dream had begun!

Oh yes........ The fact that the Newcastle faithful had increased the air conditioning in our Trent bus using a couple of house bricks was irrelevant , replacement bus turns up, back in Derby for the last Barton bus to Chadd Lane End, priceless!

What Else

Walk from the Baseball Ground into Town, down to Northcliffe House about 5.45.

"FOOTBALL SPECIAL" Green un.........hot off the press!

What happened during the Clough and Mackay era was unbelievable, I just hope the young uns on here (those under 40) get the chance to witness success at Derby County because I've been such a lucky sod!

The Training

The players would get changed at the Baseball Ground, jump inside a Ford Transit minibus, no seat belts in those days, pile in as the best you could, drive down to the training ground on Sinfin Lane, a couple of hours of Clough wisdom then back in the bus to the Baseball Ground!

Training ground..................sort of well tended field with a railway goods carriage lock up for the posts and nets, no changing facilities, don't think they even had any water down there.

I used to go to Sinfin Lane to watch them train when Tim Ward was manager and in those days they had a changing room with showers there. After training the players would make their own way home. Some of them would catch the Sinfin Lane bus next to the training ground.  The changing room was a big green wooden hut as far as I can remember.

I used to go to Sinfin Lane to watch them train when Tim Ward was manager and in those days they had a changing room with showers there. After training the players would make their own way home. Some of them would catch the Sinfin Lane bus next to the training ground. The changing room was a big green wooden hut as far as I can remember.

I used to walk down Blagreaves Lane from King George the 5th playing fields then over Goodsmoor Bridge where I used to train spot watching Pates and Brits going by when I was a lad. .

I'd often go and watch Derby training at Sinfin Lane just behind the County Hotel.

Great fun.

I used to walk down Blagreaves Lane from King George the 5th playing fields then over Goodsmoor Bridge where I used to train spot watching Pates and Brits going by when I was a lad. .

I'd often go and watch Derby training at Sinfin Lane just behind the County Hotel.

Great fun.

Blagreaves Lane.......... corr, that's posh! :)

Blagreaves Lane.......... corr, that's posh! :)

Frank Upton lived on Blagreaves lane I remember a former Derby Captain and centre back.

Very good player he was.

I knew his son at the time.

In them days when Frank Upton played the game wasn't just about money it was about representation.

Derbys FA Cup winning team with the likes of Carter and Doherty and Stamps hardly earned anything compared to players nowadays .

Players like that along with Steve Bloomer etc would be worth millions nowadays.

How Football has changed over the years.

As a lad the excitement of playing for the school team and watching Derby County was amazing

I was always on King George 5th playing fields playing football and used to watch Northcliffe and Littleover old boys I think they were managed by Steve Powells dad Tommy who also played for the Rams.

Steve Powell he played for Derby under Brian Clough and dumped Liverpool legend Tommy Smith on his backside at the old Baseball Ground a very talked about moment.

I think Steve played for Northcliffe occasionally but I'm not certain.

We lived in a Semi on Blenheim Drive.

DCFC bought the adjoining Semi and Bill Curry moved in. When he left Eddie Thomas moved in. Phil Waller lived nearby.

I used to get the same trolley bus up to the Cambridge Hotel as Peter Daniel.

In those days, pre-Clough, we didn't aspire to anything big, hence the protests when Tim Ward was sacked ("Sack the board, we want Ward").

Little did we know what was coming ;)

We lived in a Semi on Blenheim Drive.

DCFC bought the adjoining Semi and Bill Curry moved in. When he left Eddie Thomas moved in. Phil Waller lived nearby.

I used to get the same trolley bus up to the Cambridge Hotel as Peter Daniel.

In those days, pre-Clough, we didn't aspire to anything big, hence the protests when Tim Ward was sacked ("Sack the board, we want Ward").

Little did we know what was coming ;)

Peter Daniel was a great replacement for Roy Mac when he did his Achilles playing for England .

Still won the Championship with Peter playing a fantastic role at centre half .

Had paper shop in Ripley I seem to remember

Archived