Premium Bonds

Ovis aries

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't bother. All my ISA allowance is in the AIM market for the huge returns and a bit od fun. Currently balls deep in a drilling prospect (horse hill) 2 miles from Gatwick which I am in at a low entry, might make BBC news tomorrow. If it comes up I'll potentially make more in a week then I make in a year. If not, then cradling a big loss. Had big gains (600%) and big losses (60%), so only a small % of my portfolio, rest is FTSE. Buy on rumour sell on news.

Indices trackers are the best way to go IMO. Low cost and providing you are willing to ride out recessions i.e invest for the long term you will be suprised what 1000 GBP turns into over 25 years. I ditched actively managed funds a while back, lining a fund managers pocket to get sub indices rates of return gets old very quickly.

I will switch from stocks into safer bonds once this 2009 bull run looks like its losing momentum. Thats my retirement plan anyway.

Indices trackers are the best way to go IMO. Low cost and providing you are willing to ride out recessions i.e invest for the long term you will be suprised what 1000 GBP turns into over 25 years. I ditched actively managed funds a while back, lining a fund managers pocket to get sub indices rates of return gets old very quickly.

I will switch from stocks into safer bonds once this 2009 bull run looks like its losing momentum. Thats my retirement plan anyway.

Good luck mate ;)

Cheers. Unfortunately any plans have to be insured against the government, I was planning to cash the pension in at 50 but now that has moved to 55 and a fair prospect that is the first of a sequential rise. Plus talk of raiding pension pots over a certain threshold by not giving the 25% tax free lump sum. Any youngsters here, keep your money out of SIPPs or pensions IMHO and go with ISAs, the tax incentives dont look so appealing after the politicians have broken all their promises.

Cheers. Unfortunately any plans have to be insured against the government, I was planning to cash the pension in at 50 but now that has moved to 55 and a fair prospect that is the first of a sequential rise. Plus talk of raiding pension pots over a certain threshold by not giving the 25% tax free lump sum. Any youngsters here, keep your money out of SIPPs or pensions IMHO and go with ISAs, the tax incentives dont look so appealing after the politicians have broken all their promises.

I realise a football forum isn't the best place to seek financial advice, but if you were in you're late thirties, would you opt out of the compulsory workplace pension, if you could get the equivalent pay increase, and put the money in a tracker?

I would yes. Though my view is skewed in thinking most financial "experts", commonly known as advisors or fund managers or brokers are parasites taking cuts of our hard earned money. Very few people beat the market over the long run yet charge for the privilege of their counsel.

In your late 30s topping up a tracker every month with compounding would be a nice nest egg in 15-20 years IMO.

I get 9.6% in a high interest online account here payable every 32 days. Admittedly, inflation is a lot higher but can't grumble at that.

Zimbabwe is nice at this time of year.

Very wise.

I'm probably going to cash mine in at 80.

Should be good for about a pint a week by then.

Lol. In all seriousness pensions lose their creditability when they can be used as a political football. Not to mention annuities that would have you bin dipping within a fortnight.

As for my state pension... I have budgeted being approximately dead before I see a penny. Again, I expect the rules to change before I get close. It"ll probably be means tested and taken back to 75 at the current rate. I would be more comfortable if it were a fund we were paying into, not plugging current liabilities.

Archived