Simpson: Rams Facing Problem of Additional Respect

AmericanRam

From hereisthecity.com;

Derby County had promotion to the top flight within their sights last season, before the play-off final was brought to an abrupt end as Bobby Zamora netted a late winner to send Queens Park Rangers into the promised land.

It has been a common occurrence to see teams storm the division one year, only to struggle the next, with Watford a prime example. Having lost the 2013 final in extra-time, pundits were labelling them favourites for promotion, only for a dreadful run of form see them stall in mid-table, and end the following season with a different manager in charge.

Derby are in a similar situation now, with their promotion credentials as strong as any other team, but an unremarkable start to the season, having claimed nine points from their first six games.

Many believe this is down to opposition managers working out how to play against the promotion favourites, and Derby first team coach Paul Simpson has admitted much the same, claiming that visiting teams are treating the Rams with more respect.

Speaking to the official Derby website, Simpson said:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another myth. 

Do people really think that when we was flying going 10/11 games unbeaten that teams were taking us lightly? No chance. 

We're not struggling with 'additional respect' - we're struggling with not being as good as we was. You can wrap it up in any way you want, it's the truth. 

Another myth. 

Do people really think that when we was flying going 10/11 games unbeaten that teams were taking us lightly? No chance. 

We're not struggling with 'additional respect' - we're struggling with not being as good as we was. You can wrap it up in any way you want, it's the truth. 

I agree. Simpson made a good point about being more confident and patient in our approach, but as you said I think our squad thought perhaps things would be easier than they have been so far due to how well last season went.

I don't know how it is but looking at performances if anybody is treating us like the favourites it's ourselves.

I'm not slating us here but it's about to sound like it. I'm not though as I think we'll still grow into the season. But...

I think, in the league games, we've played as a team that expects to be feared. Like opponents are sitting on the 18yrd line and playing for a draw. We've shown patience.

But in actual fact I don't think any team has played us like that. At this stage most teams are pretty fearless. They've been closing us down quite high up and quite often. They've respected that we are very strong on the counter attack but I don't think any team has sat deep in the league.

I think at times we've played quite arrogantly as if we expect to be favourites and to be in the top 6. When it comes to it though we've not really had an easy game. Fulham for most the game were competitive and managed to reduce us to hoofball. It was only when they stupidly forgot how fast we counter attack and committed tactical suicide that we put 5 past them.

Our best passages of play this season have come mostly after we've had a scare. On occasion we've started games brilliantly before looking slightly confused at why we aren't 3-0 up in the opening 10 seconds.

I know this reads like I'm ranting but I'm not. I do believe we'll get a feel for the way we'll need to play.

Right now though I think we're backing ourselves a bit too much and the urgency and hunger isn't at the same level as last season when we looked like we wanted a match every day in the run in.

Don't expect to control all of every match. Just when we are in control I'd like to see a bit more hunger. A bit more concentration.

It's so patchy right now

I don't know how it is but looking at performances if anybody is treating us like the favourites it's ourselves.

I'm not slating us here but it's about to sound like it. I'm not though as I think we'll still grow into the season. But...

I think, in the league games, we've played as a team that expects to be feared. Like opponents are sitting on the 18yrd line and playing for a draw. We've shown patience.

But in actual fact I don't think any team has played us like that. At this stage most teams are pretty fearless. They've been closing us down quite high up and quite often. They've respected that we are very strong on the counter attack but I don't think any team has sat deep in the league.

I think at times we've played quite arrogantly as if we expect to be favourites and to be in the top 6. When it comes to it though we've not really had an easy game. Fulham for most the game were competitive and managed to reduce us to hoofball. It was only when they stupidly forgot how fast we counter attack and committed tactical suicide that we put 5 past them.

Our best passages of play this season have come mostly after we've had a scare. On occasion we've started games brilliantly before looking slightly confused at why we aren't 3-0 up in the opening 10 seconds.

I know this reads like I'm ranting but I'm not. I do believe we'll get a feel for the way we'll need to play.

Right now though I think we're backing ourselves a bit too much and the urgency and hunger isn't at the same level as last season when we looked like we wanted a match every day in the run in.

Don't expect to control all of every match. Just when we are in control I'd like to see a bit more hunger. A bit more concentration.

It's so patchy right now

You make a good point I think a few of the players seem confused that things aren't running for them but they aren't getting to grips with it. 

I also think there's been a play off hang over and a few players are lacking the confidence they had at the end of last season as Wembley was such kick in the knackers and you don't just pick yourself up and return to top form straight away. It will return they just need to keep working hard and take advantage of any lucky breaks that come our way. 

Patience is key. 

Last season we struggled with teams who had defensive qualities and knew how to defend and well drilled. One which beams out was playing vs Leicester and Home. They just defended so well and we never had a answer. Torwards the end of the season we meet a few as well who knew how to defend. These games will most likely end in draws which is fine but we have to pick points up else where.

This season people will defend in numbers the problem I think we have not many decent set piece takers neither people who can cross the ball along with not enough people in the box = these teams will be hard to break down!

Archived