Will Hughes tonight

CumbrianRam

Charlton changed their tactics second half and stopped us playing out from defence, a good move but one that was helped by too many silly mistakes all over the pitch that put us under uncessary pressure.

We seem to have become obsessed with the formation and holding role; neither of which were the problem tonight.

We lost the game in the last minute of the first half with poor defending when they were desperate to get in at ht with the score at 1 1.

I agree basic defensive errors cost us, its easy to get sidetracked but that's simply what it boiled down to.

Didn't think we were quite so solid at the back as some others on Saturday, as it was more the fact that they missed 2 or 3 great chances than us being absolutely watertight, certainly a couple of them should have been taken.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen him in the Rangers, Rovram and Carlisle games and i thought he is 'doing a job' in there at home  he has the time and space, away from home not so much. Losing Thorne was a hammer blow.

Yes it was a hammer blow, but the panicked reaction has really come as a shock to me. The solution is staring us in the face. Play the guy who played DM in almost all our games last season! Why are we jamming square pegs in round holes... again? Why are we pushing one of our smartest attacking players deeper?

I thought Hughes played a whole heap better than OMG last night. OMG played some dangerous balls to everyone including some dangerous back passes. Bucko was rubbish last night, Keogh played well covering everyone but it was too much for 1 man.

It really would of been a cricket score if it wasn't for Keogh.

Jamie looked good buzzing about. Christie had a poor game last night I was wishing he would just run at his man instead of stop starting and cutting back.

Dawkins should have been subbed earlier for Russell as he has lost confidence.

Too much tappy, tappy stuff and losing the ball to invite them on to us. I was screaming half the match just to shot after how dodgy that keeper looked.

Keogh and Ward MOTM followed closely by Martin. it seems the other players weren't on it last night.

I'm not sure how Hughes could be described as a 'decent holding midfield player' after such an ineffectual display.

He is being asked to play a position that he does not know how to play, and as a result, drifted out of it badly.

The lack of protection in front of a lumbering back four in the first half was terribly poor, gaps all over our midfield where there should have been none. 

Mascarell looked classy in patches, but is still adapting.

I totally, 100% concure that the loss of Thorne was a mortal blow. But we must forget about that now until the lad is fit again.

Time to get back to basics...

Get Eustace in there immediately. We need some experience and some street smarts back in that side. He is just the man, and well know that he did a remarkable job.

There was too much naivety about us last night.

I agree with you Daz, Eustace needs to be back in that side. OMG and Hughes are not DM's. 3 times I counted miss placed passes from OMG to allow a 1 on 1 situation.

I don't think Jeff helped as he seemed to drift out of position through out the game. I am just telling myself it was an off game as I don't think half of the team turned up last night.

Archived