Take Five

eddie

As you all know, next week, what we have all been waiting for over this long, drawn-out hellion of a summer comes to fruition. Yes, I'm talking about Mozza's DCFCFans iPrediction League.

Alongside that, and completely unrelated, I too shall be running a prediction league with a difference. It will cover all the other Championship matches (not Derby) and quite possibly weekend cup matches too (and internationals when we have a week with no Championship interest).

I shall publish the matches a week in advance (a few days in advance in the case of midweek games) - your job is to predict just FIVE of them from that set of games. No more, no less. Any five - your choice.

The rules will be the same as for the World Cup Prediction League, i.e

1 point for the first goalscorer (can also be 'NGS' for no goalscorer or 'OG' for the first goal being an own goal)

1 point for the correct result

2 bonus points for the precise score PLUS one point per goal in that game

DOUBLE points for a 'full house' where you predict both the precise score AND first goalscorer (this rule does not apply in the case of successfully predicting a goalless draw - that gets you 4 points only).

You don't need to sign up in advance - just post your predictions after I have published the matches, up to kickoff time. It would help me a great deal if you post your predictions using the same format as I use for publishing the matches. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First set of fixtures, Week ending Sunday, 10 August

Match   1  Blackburn     v  Cardiff       Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   2  Brentford     v  Charlton      Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   3  Brighton      v  Sheff Wed     Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   4  Huddersfield  v  Bournemouth   Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   5  Middlesbrough v  Birmingham    Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   6  Millwall      v  Leeds         Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   7  Forest        v  Blackpool     Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   8  Watford       v  Bolton        Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match   9  Wigan         v  Reading       Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match  10  Ipswich       v  Fulham        Score (        )     FGS (          )

Match  11  Wolves        v  Norwich       Score (        )     FGS (          )       

An easy way of entering your predictions is to:

1. Go to my post publishing the week's matches

2. Click 'quote'

3. Edit the quoted text, deleting the lines containing the matches you don't want and entering the predictions in the brackets

e.g.

First set of fixtures, Week ending Sunday, 10 August

Match   1  Blackburn     v  Cardiff       Score ( 1-1    )     FGS ( Rhodes   )

Match   3  Brighton      v  Sheff Wed       Score ( 2-0    )     FGS ( Mackail-Smith    )

Match   6  Millwall      v  Leeds         Score ( 0-0    )     FGS ( NGS    )

Match   7  Forest        v  Blackpool      Score ( 0-2   )     FGS  (  Davies     )

Match  11  Wolves        v  Norwich       Score ( 1-1    )     FGS (   Grabban       )       

4. Click 'Post'

Don't worry about the brackets and stuff lining up - however, please ensure that your predictions are posted in the brackets if you can. It will save me a huge amount of time if you do because I can write software to scrape out the relevant bits (and to give me a list of where predictions didn't follow the above pattern so I can target those and enter them manually).

Sounds good, just a point the formatting messes up on mobile, well, mine at least.

Don't worry about it. If you can't format, then do what you can and I will enter those manually. The font I used for the example was Courier New because it's a fixed space font, but again, it doesn't really matter what font you use.

Important factors if you are entering them manually are:

'Match' followed by the Match Number (the actual teams is unimportant but if entered, I will verify them as a double-check)

'Score' then the match score in brackets  

'FGS' and the first goalscorer in brackets.

Preferably one match per line, but again that might be a pain on a mobile.

I can write software to determine where brackets start and end, then edit spaces to nulls in order to determine the actual contents and hence the predictions. 

There is a new thread called 'Take Five, Round 1'.

Please place your predictions in that thread. A very nice man (ok, Daveo) is going to transfer the predictions already made in here to there.

Just a sneaky bump - there's still plenty of time to enter Take Five this week.

Just choose five matches from this week (see post 1 in this thread for the rules and post 2 for this week's fixtures), enter your predictions and post them in the following thread: 

I'm struggling with these FGS, I can't be the only one....should just be the scores only :(

Yes, you are not the only one - there have been very few nailed the FGS and nobody has had a full house.

How would people feel if instead of the FGS you had to predict the half time score as well, then if you get HT and FT you get the full house bonus (HT to be 1 point instead of points per goal)?

Archived