Australian Rugby player Todd Carney sacked for drinking his own urine

Albert

Australian Rugby Player Todd Carney has had his ~$650,000 per year contract cancelled after an image emerged on the internet of him urinating into his own mouth. Carney, who has been sacked by two clubs in the past, is now once again sacked for the bizarre incident.

Some articles on the matter:

Disgraced star Todd Carney has flushed away his NRL career after Sharks terminate his contract

Todd Carney lewd photo a set-up, says agent

Oh dear, oh dear.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely that's not grounds for a sacking? Chris Martin could have a poo fetish, as long as he's playing well, I wouldn't care. It's not as though he posted the picture himself (if he did, then I take it all back.)

Surely that's not grounds for a sacking? Chris Martin could have a poo fetish, as long as he's playing well, I wouldn't care. It's not as though he posted the picture himself (if he did, then I take it all back.)

To be honest I don't really care if he likes to piss into his face, but in context it seems more a good reason to remove him from the club.

Further context:

At Canberra Raiders:

2006:

- Disqualified from driving for 5 years for driving under the influence and reckless driving

2007:

- 12 month suspended sentence for failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified

2008:

- Allegedly urinated on a man who would later require counselling for the incident

- The former teammate who was in the car at the time of the 2007 driving incident (and was sacked over the incident, despite having no charged filed by police and Carney remaining at the club) claimed that Carney was intoxicated at the time, but was asked by the club to remain quiet as to spare Carney jail time

- Carney was sacked by the Canberra Raiders after refusing a 5 point plan which included him abstaining from Alcohol until 2012

- The NRL would refuse to allow Carney to list Carney for the 2009 season

- An attempted move to Huddersfield was thwarted when he failed to receive a visa due to criminal offences

Between clubs:

2009:

- Carney went on a vandalism spree and received a 12 month suspended sentence and was required to go to alcohol counselling

- Carney moved to Cairns to play for the Atherton Roosters during this time, where he was assaulted by 4 men

Sydney Roosters:

2009:

- Having only just signed a deal to play for the Roosters, Carney allegedly injured a man by setting his pants on fire on New Years Eve, although no official complaint was made and Carney faced no charges

2010:

- Carney allegedly injured himself falling from a balcony trying to gain entry to a building he had locked himself out of

2011:

- Carney faced a "low range drink driving charge", but the Roosters decided to stand by him

- After another drinking incident he was stood down from the Roosters

- He was given another chance, so long as he received treatment for his behavioral issues

- He and two team mates broke an agreement not to touch alcohol for two weeks, and faced disciplinary hearings

- Carney was released from the Roosters

Between clubs again:

2011:

- Carney was denied a visa to move to England again

Cronulla Sharks

2014:

- Carney was sacked by the Sharks following a picture of him urinating into his mouth at a urinal in a club went viral

- It has also been reported that there were two other drinking related incidents that he had been warned over before this one

So in context, with his history it seems that the Sharks simply didn't want to be associated with him anymore.

To be honest I don't really care if he likes to piss into his face, but in context it seems more a good reason to remove him from the club.

Further context:

At Canberra Raiders:

2006:

- Disqualified from driving for 5 years for driving under the influence and reckless driving

2007:

- 12 month suspended sentence for failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified

2008:

- Allegedly urinated on a man who would later require counselling for the incident

- The former teammate who was in the car at the time of the 2007 driving incident (and was sacked over the incident, despite having no charged filed by police and Carney remaining at the club) claimed that Carney was intoxicated at the time, but was asked by the club to remain quiet as to spare Carney jail time

- Carney was sacked by the Canberra Raiders after refusing a 5 point plan which included him abstaining from Alcohol until 2012

- The NRL would refuse to allow Carney to list Carney for the 2009 season

- An attempted move to Huddersfield was thwarted when he failed to receive a visa due to criminal offences

Between clubs:

2009:

- Carney went on a vandalism spree and received a 12 month suspended sentence and was required to go to alcohol counselling

- Carney moved to Cairns to play for the Atherton Roosters during this time, where he was assaulted by 4 men

Sydney Roosters:

2009:

- Having only just signed a deal to play for the Roosters, Carney allegedly injured a man by setting his pants on fire on New Years Eve, although no official complaint was made and Carney faced no charges

2010:

- Carney allegedly injured himself falling from a balcony trying to gain entry to a building he had locked himself out of

2011:

- Carney faced a "low range drink driving charge", but the Roosters decided to stand by him

- After another drinking incident he was stood down from the Roosters

- He was given another chance, so long as he received treatment for his behavioral issues

- He and two team mates broke an agreement not to touch alcohol for two weeks, and faced disciplinary hearings

- Carney was released from the Roosters

Between clubs again:

2011:

- Carney was denied a visa to move to England again

Cronulla Sharks

2014:

- Carney was sacked by the Sharks following a picture of him urinating into his mouth at a urinal in a club went viral

- It has also been reported that there were two other drinking related incidents that he had been warned over before this one

So in context, with his history it seems that the Sharks simply didn't want to be associated with him anymore.

But apart from all that he is an OK guy  :ph34r:

But apart from all that he is an OK guy  :ph34r:

The sad part is just how talented the guy was, and just how much clubs would let him get away with because of that. He was the 2010 Dally M Medal winner (player of the season), he is a top player and his contract (the one just ripped up) was a 5 year deal worth around $3 million that he only signed last year!

The guy could literally have been a legend in that sport, but instead he's the guy who lost a $3 million contract due to pissing in his own face.

I hate to see talent go to waste because people think they are bigger than the club or sport. Often it is a case of people close to them not giving the right guidance. Absolute sacrilege, hopefully it will smack him between the eyes and he will give something back to the sport.

It seems the defense for the incident is that it was a "prank".

Personally I wouldn't call pissing on my own face a prank.

The NRL has suggested that they aren't likely to ever allow him to be registered again. I have no doubt though that some club are going to not only give him a contract, but end up in a situation like this again in the future. If he survived [allegedly] pissing on someone, multiple drink driving convictions, a high speed police chase without a licence and [allegedly] setting a mans pants on fire and still got a contract, then I doubt that this will be the end of him. He'll probably be on a bigger pay packet even.

Archived