British Players

halifaxram

Bearing in mind the pretty average performance of the national team again, does anyone agree, that Derby's apparent policy over the past few seasons of encouraging young British talent should be encouraged and prolonged, or is our local progress more important?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I don't really watch/like international matches except in the major tournaments, I do think that having a strong national team helps to strengthen the game in England - more interest, better attendances, more kids playing the game etc.

There has always been a club v country debate - read Roy McFarland's autobiography to see the influence that clubs and managers have always had on players turning up - but the pendulum has swung too far over the years of the EPL towards the club.  I heard a stat the other day that only 32% of regular starters in the EPL were English qualified.  That's ridiculous if you want anything approaching a strong national team that stands a chance of winning tournaments, especially if you bear in mind that the figures for the best 5/6 clubs is probably even lower.  According to the FA, fewer kids than ever are playing football at a junior level.  Eventually both those stats will filter through.

First and foremost I want the Rams to win and play attractive football when doing so.  The Dave MacKay/Jim Smith teams have been the best at doing that consistently in my years - Dave with largely UK players and a good English base, Jim with a significant number of overseas players.  That just shows how European employment legislation, football practice and value for money changed over about 30 years.

I like watching local and English, preferably home grown players in a Rams shirt, so long as they and we are successful.  I would love our academy to be successfully producing first team players, regularly, without trawling Europe - all the EPL academies have significant numbers of overseas players from 16 upwards.  But you have to wonder where all the UK young players have gone, especially in the top 2 leagues.  In two football generations we have gone from having over 95% of players in a premier division club from the UK to something much, much less. Where have they gone?

One solution only for me - find a way within European legislation to have quotas, throughout the leagues, however artificial it may be, of England qualified players as starters for every match, cups or league. Chances of Scudamore's league agreeing? Zero. Chances of the FL agreeing? Better. 

Maybe the solution is to have a wage cap on u21s and their sale value if they chose to exercise their bosman rights is based on the number of appearances made - weighted by each division.

That doesn't benefit the top 4 teams, so it won't happen.

Would it be illegal to factor into FFP a discount against losses for each home country qualified academy product that makes 20 starts for the clubs first team?

It wouldn't restrict movement of players from Europe, just give clubs an extra decision to make in regards to buying foreign or promoting youth.

Would it be illegal to factor into FFP a discount against losses for each home country qualified academy product that makes 20 starts for the clubs first team?

It wouldn't restrict movement of players from Europe, just give clubs an extra decision to make in regards to buying foreign or promoting youth.

The cricket board pay each county extra money for every player eligible for England, so can't see it breaking any laws

The problem is premier league chairmen,

How many of them give a **** about the england team, they want the best club in the world(aka Europe), not to be part of the league whos national team won the world cup!

What needs to happen is the FA grow some balls and put some Serious money into grass roots football, This is the richest league in the world but where are all the pitches to play on for free,

I think one of the quotas for being in the premier league should be community pitches, the fines from FFP could even go into building 3g pitches across the uk,

Kids need to be able to knock a ball about on a pitch,

I dont know all the answers but something needs to be done rather than just fobbing off every single tournament oh we were unlucky oh we just didnt click....

Archived