History...

Gypsy Ram

Hi, So could someone tell me about the history of this forum, or point me in the right direction? Who is Boyce, who is eddie? ETC... (sorry to forget all your names, on the sauce). How did this forum come about? any DET old-schoolers on here? How is this run? Is it Saudi money or Qatari? Danke

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2008 me and my online friend Mr Boycie was members on both the DET and NEP, we both loved our banter and found the DET very cliquey. Boycie was already on the NEP giving the Forest fans some when I arrived, me and Boycie got talking on there and it was love at first PM.

The NEP had a few issues with some unfriendly trolls, they appointed a guy called Elvis as chief moderator who in turn employed his merry men. Elvis had a belief that the NEP should be for Forest fans only, I was banned a few months in to his dictatorship and Boycie was banned soon after for posting a photoshopped picture I did of Kris Commons with a Derby tattoo.

We both knew there was other Forest fans that enjoyed the banter so we opened The Halfway House derbyvforest.co.uk, the idea was for a banter forum for both sets of fans. It started off ok however Forest fans started to only come on after they had won, if they lost on a Saturday you wouldn't see them until Wednesday.

I was still visiting the DET mainly as a guest and could see there was no change, if you wasn't in the clique you would get ignored or hounded out, on 29th January 2009 I messaged Boycie to say The Halfway House isn't working, let's go Derby only. That night I bought this domain, host, and the forum software (started on vBulletin, moved to XenForo and now IPB).

The forum was setup quickly and we was live, I went across to the DET to invite a few over that I thought talked sense, despite what people think of him Bris Vegas was one of the first I messaged. Quite a few joined and posted a few times but soon drifted off, it was quiet but we soon had around 30 active members posting.

PTR joined and we had a couple of members from the clique on here that hounded him off the DET, we was given an ultimatum, PTR or them....welcome to the forum PTR. We did not want a clique being formed or anyone being hounded off like the DET, we also wanted to stay on top of the personal abuse, this was to become a friendly banter forum.

Soon after we opened comeonyourams.co.uk was opened by the clique, to join that forum you had to be accepted in, League of Gentlemen?....this shop is for local people kinda thing.

Anyhow in October 2010 the DET shut down, this forum was number 1 in Google and with COYR's on lockdown and wanted to focus on quality over quantity a lot joined this forum, we had people registering every 5 minutes at one point. If you click into a members profile and see member since October 2010 they are a DET refugee.

Over the years we've become more and more popular with new members signing up daily. I don't think we are as big as what the DET was but if you look around the other forums when a player joins, leaves, matchday etc. we are by far the most busiest and still growing.

No Saudi money is behind this, everything has come out of my pocket then in 2011 I added adverts to help cover some of the forum as I had to upgrade the server to cope with the new demand and in 2012 a member asked if he could make a donation so I opened the forum up to donations which also helped cover some of the costs to keep the forum online.

Ahem http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/donate

This software we are using now a new update is about to go into Beta stage and should hopefully be fully released by time the new season kicks off. From what I have seen it will improve the forum massively. The forum will be responsive which means it will adjust the size for tablets and mobiles with all the desktop options available, right now the mobile theme is separate and has been massively edited by myself.

@ mentions will also be there just like Twitter and show up in your notifications and profile pages will be given the Twitter treatment with cover photos so you can customise it better. I'm also led to believe you will be able to embed tweets by copying and pasting the URL.

I may as well mention now that there will be another server change shortly as the current one isn't suitable for the upgrade and I've been told by the host it would be very tricky to make it compatible so expect a day downtime in the coming weeks.

/History lesson over

Anyhow in October 2010 the DET shut down, this forum was number 1 in Google and with COYR's on lockdown and wanted to focus on quality over quantity a lot joined this forum, we had people registering every 5 minutes at one point. If you click into a members profile and see member since October 2010 they are a DET refugee.

Are you sure you're timeline's right? I was a DET refugee but it says I joined in March 2009. Unless I'd been getting fed up and looking around before then. But I can swear I remember coming on here and saying my hellos when it shut down.

This software we are using now a new update is about to go into Beta stage and should hopefully be fully released by time the new season kicks off. From what I have seen it will improve the forum massively. The forum will be responsive which means it will adjust the size for tablets and mobiles with all the desktop options available, right now the mobile theme is separate and has been massively edited by myself.

So you do edit the board's code yourself?  I wasn't sure with it being paid-for.  I don't have the means to contribute financially but I'll gladly help if you need any code changes (assuming it's PHP?).

And finally, this is easily the best football forum I've ever been on.  Decent forum software, fairly moderated, most informed posters (well, a few here and there ;)), friendly banter and we have plenty of in-jokes without excluding new posters.

Just stop the fúcking puns!!! :D

October 2010 is definitely the date, probably joined much earlier to see what it was about.

The forum is PHP, I didn't make any changes to the code on the desktop view just the CSS, mobile skin I added some code in for the who's online, navigation and main menu.

October 2010 is definitely the date, probably joined much earlier to see what it was about.

The forum is PHP, I didn't make any changes to the code on the desktop view just the CSS, mobile skin I added some code in for the who's online, navigation and main menu.

Yep I figured out the (relatively crap actually, I wonder if the new version will be better?) search function and it looks like I'd joined earlier but didn't make my first post until... 1 Oct 2010 on Det forum closed down :) .

The impressive thing on that thread is the number of people in there who still visit here almost every day.  Shows you must be doing something right!

I will share a few screenshots of what the new forum update will look like, remember it's the default colour scheme and will be black and white after I've finished with it.

New profile page

@Daveo Thanks for that, although I thought the DET closed in 2008-9, I used to be a regular poster.

Anyways, great work, fantastic forum: design, layout, phone app, etc...

I will donate once I get paid.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Will the new software have a repeat pun flag set to automatically impose a 24 hour ban on the offender?

If not why not? 

That makes me think of something I was thinking about the other day: -

Will it have the ability to ignore threads?  I mostly just check New Content and it would be really helpful if I could Mark a thread as ignore so it won't show up if there's any new posts?  Good for pun-swamped or other boring threads.

Archived