Bidding technique

RamNut

There seems to be a difference of opinion between those who think that the way to sign a player is to bid low and edge up as necessary, and those who think that for a player under a significant contract this is a total waste of time......

I was trying to think of when the former - cheeky bid technique - ever worked.

Brian clough picked up a few bargains notably hinton, o'hare, mcfarland, gemmill, mackay......

Clearly hinton, mackay, o'hare were surplus to requirements at their clubs.

Everton were in gemmill so the fee was presumably the going rate.

In later years he didn't muck about when signing todd and nish when trying to add the finishing touches to a good team.

Under mackay we got a bargain with charlie george but once again Arsenal had already chosen to get rid.

Mackay spent big in trying to replace hinton with leighton james.

Murphy got a bargain with gerry daly but man utd were determined to sell.

He spent badly on derek hales.

And so on..... I can't relly think when the cheeky bid technique ever worked unless the selling club were determined to sell.

Arthur achieved a few bargains, but spent big when he had to.

Jim smith spent wisely at first before going totally mad.

When did the cheeky bid ever work?

Get yer money out.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be a difference of opinion between those who think that the way to sign a player is to bid low and edge up as necessary, and those who think that for a player under a significant contract this is a total waste of time......

I was trying to think of when the former - cheeky bid technique - ever worked.

Brian clough picked up a few bargains notably hinton, o'hare, mcfarland, gemmill, mackay......

Clearly hinton, mackay, o'hare were surplus to requirements at their clubs.

Everton were in gemmill so the fee was presumably the going rate.

In later years he didn't muck about when signing todd and nish when trying to add the finishing touches to a good team.

Under mackay we got a bargain with charlie george but once again Arsenal had already chosen to get rid.

Mackay spent big in trying to replace hinton with leighton james.

Murphy got a bargain with gerry daly but man utd were determined to sell.

He spent badly on derek hales.

And so on..... I can't relly think when the cheeky bid technique ever worked unless the selling club were determined to sell.

Arthur achieved a few bargains, but spent big when he had to.

Jim smith spent wisely at first before going totally mad.

When did the cheeky bid ever work?

Get yer money out.

Conor Sammon?

I don't mind us to bid low and edge up as necessary after that.

We would never get him with that approach.

Party pooper.

True tho init?

Most transfer fees are undisclosed as well, we have to go on what the media tell us the fee was but we're not allowed to believe the media when it comes to transfer rumours they are talking out their arses, but when they tell us a fee it's taken as fact.

Who knows how much the bid for Thorne was and who knows how close it is for WBA to accept?

Rush and Peace may have an idea, sadly both are not members on here to answer this for us.

True tho init?

Most transfer fees are undisclosed as well, we have to go on what the media tell us the fee was but we're not allowed to believe the media when it comes to transfer rumours they are talking out their arses, but when they tell us a fee it's taken as fact.

Who knows how much the bid for Thorne was and who knows how close it is for WBA to accept?

Rush and Peace may have an idea, sadly both are not members on here to answer this for us.

It is true. Spot on.

I would bet Thorne isn't the only holding midfielder on our shopping list.

Maybe the first bid to West Brom being knocked back is then followed by a similar bid for option 2 before considering increasing the Thorne bid.

No point in paying over the odds if a similar player is available for less leaving more funds to strengthen elsewhere.

The best buy ever and the cheekiest was by BH Clough with Colin Todd.He had been

summoned to a board meeting to explain some of his behaviour.

He ignored most of what was said,onthe way out he turned to Sam Longson and said

"by the way you owe Sunderland £180000 I've just bought Colin Todd!"

Archived