Derby v Juventus '73 European Cup Semi 2nd leg footage

TimRam

Brilliant piece of nostalgia, I am unfortunately old enough to have been there as an 11 year old with is Dad, while if I remember correctly my mum and sister watched it live on TV, which was unusual in those days. It was a bit like the play-off final V QPR (except with more clear chances) you kept thinking it's only a matter of time before we score and once we get one we will get a few (even after we went to 10 men). Hittons peno is torturous to watch when you can remember the goals he scored and how he could hit the ball. Really lost it in the 1st leg though, with Mac & Archie (what would they be worth today!) being booked meaning they missed the home leg which C & T always but down to the Juve sub (who had been seen in the Refs room before KO and at 1/2 time) telling the ref which players were carry bookings from the previous round coupled with the well known bribery allegation, which carried great substances as the Ref of the BBG leg reported that he had been offered a bribe to favour Juve. All part of DCFC folklore now.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant piece of nostalgia, I am unfortunately old enough to have been there as an 11 year old with is Dad, while if I remember correctly my mum and sister watched it live on TV, which was unusual in those days. It was a bit like the play-off final V QPR (except with more clear chances) you kept thinking it's only a matter of time before we score and once we get one we will get a few (even after we went to 10 men). Hittons peno is torturous to watch when you can remember the goals he scored and how he could hit the ball. Really lost it in the 1st leg though, with Mac & Archie (what would they be worth today!) being booked meaning they missed the home leg which C & T always sabut down to the Juve sub (who had been seen in the Refs room before KO and at 1/2 time) telling the ref which players were carry bookings from the previous round coupled with the well known bribery allegation, which carried great substances as the Ref of the BBG leg reported that he had been offered a bribe to favour Juve. All part of DCFC folklore now.

I was 14 and I also went to the final. Maybe it is age but I felt despite all the outside problems we screwed up against juve. The sending off and the peno miss summed the night up for me. Can't remember ever feeling so disappointed even compared with losing fa cup semi at Hillsboro. The qpr game though not the best experience I left feeling this was the best we could do on the day. More good days to come, soon

I was on the popside.

Never seen the footage before.

Looks to me now that hector dived anyway.

So was I. King Kev was very good at getting the odd contact that knocked him off balance :)

I've always looked back at Davies' "header" as the action that saved me from self combustion that night. I think he did it on my behalf and it felt really good when the defender went flying. Not advocating GBH generally but it seemed appropriate at the time!

Archived