Disapponted (Opposition Fan)

Splodgy Guff

Hi, I'll start off with saying I'm sorry you're not now celebrating Premier League football.

I'm an Everton fan and I've followed Derby a good bit this season, mainly because of Football Manager (Which, despite my limited time to play games, I've taken Derby on to dominate the World  :cool: ) but also because a mate is a longstanding ST holder. I travel away with Everton and have always liked trips to Pride Park and though I don't rememeber them, the Baseball.

It's not going to mean anything coming from an Everton fan really, but I just wanted to say I'm really disappointed you didn't come up today. I've always thought there was somewhat of an injustice about the playoffs in the sense that you can finish well ahead of the teams below and still lose out to them, and today proved it a bit.

It seemed a matter of when you'd score really and I couldn't believe it when you got bitten at the end. I thought you started slowly today but after that pretty much controlled the game. George Thorne for me was excellent in midfield, though I thought Jamie Ward struggled a bit and poor passes broke down promising moves. That's what I got from the game, though I was pissed.

Anyway, I hope you bounce back from this and gain promotion next season. None of the playoff ********, just straight promotion. For me, the teams coming down are weaker, so you'll be in good stead.  

Good luck.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like we were the nation's favourite yesterday, and our failure has been seen as some kind of footballing injustice.

It really does feel like it was scripted for us to lose that, and in such typical jammy fashion too.

At least there is no worse feeling than this, that's the positive to take from it. I honestly can't imagine us having such a good season with such likeable players and falling at the last hurdle like this in the next 20-30 odd years which will hurt as much as today.

What tops this pain? From a team that was genuinely awesome throughout the campaign, to losing at Wembley in the last minute of a playoff final. I can't imagine another situation close to it...

A last-minute relegation wouldn't be same as we would have seen losing football all season. A last-minute automatic promotion escape would hurt but we'd still have the playoffs as a second attempt.

The only thing I can see perhaps topping this is finishing like 7th in the PL, having an amazing team with likeable players etc. playing awesome football and then losing on penalties in the FA Cup final or something after dominating the game.

That's my positive outlook, that there is no worse than this now.

That's my positive outlook, that there is no worse than this now.

Mate, I couldn't possibly disagree with you anymore. Today was an absolute slap in the face, don't get be wrong, but this quick sharp pain is nothing compared to the long, dull endless pain of 07/08 and 08/09. We have so much to celebrate this season - especially after the **** we've been through the last few years.

I think our lowest point was during our awful prem season, when the Jewell o news article came out. The club was a complete laughing stock and we had the performances to go with it - there was literally nothing to take any pride in. Even the Atwell denied victory against forest was significantly more painful than this.

We were by far the better team today, and are by far one of the best teams in the Championship. We'll plug some holes, regroup and take the league by storm next season.

Kind words Splodgy, thanks.

I'm still sickened and I didn't even go to Wembley. God knows how those that did are feeling this morning.

I could accept it better if we were played off the park but that's football, the high's are great, the low's suck.

Still, Sky will be pleased, they love a Redknapp or two, so lot's more interviews of 'Arry leaning out his Range Rover telling us QPR's next game will be tough etc etc.

I still believe QPR's gain is the Premier League's loss because the atmosphere at The I Pro knocks Loftus Road into a cocked hat.

I'd still rather be a Ram than a follower of any other club (no disrespect to The Toffees like) so it's straighten me face and onwards and upwards.

COYR.

One of my friends supports Sunderland and he says both the Mackem and Toon forums are raging about us losing yesterday. A Man Utd mate also said "those cvnts didn't deserve it"

Seems most other fans really were behind us.

It does seem to have struck a chord with a lot of fans around the country. It's been a long time since I've seen such a one sided game end in defeat. 

But as Bris say's the longer it went on the more you felt the name on promotion was already down as QPR. We could still be playing now and I doubt we'd score Martin getting in the way of Ward's goal bound shot summed it up. 

On the way out I was walking next to this old chap and he said "It was there on a plate begging to be taken, we will never have a better or easier chance than this, never!". Summed it up to a tee.

Watford fan here. Just wanted to say I was gutted for you yesterday - wanted you to win, thought you deserved to win &, as a Watford fan, know just how it feels to fall at the last hurdle to a late goal. Good luck next season - hope you don't suffer from the same Play-Off Final 'hangover' we did.

I keep pointing to Watford as what could happen next season... at the end of the day though, even Watford weren't a million miles off in the end. It was just a bit of off-field upheaval which did you.

Archived