Okay, now finish the job

Albert

If we do nothing more than keep the players we have for next season, I'll consider that far better progress than buying 20 players for 'barker type fees'.

Which reminds me, we might even be getting barker back next season. And coutts.

My only caveat is that we could do with cover in certain areas. But if we can keep the 14 that played today, I'll be ecstatic.

I wait impatiently to, hopefully, hear absolutely no interesting transfer news during the summer.

We need to hear about whether the likes of Thorne, Wisdom and Bamford are to stay.

It'll be interesting.

Our midfield though, as it was this season, is something special and something that I feel the players should want to continue. We all saw what happened to Brayford, with a relegated side, and I would hate that to happen to any more of our players.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the teams mentioned have got into Europe through cup competitions, read Alberts post properly and it's says cement our place in top flight and challenge for Europe ie top 6.

Well I'm pretty sure Stoke qualified through league position (?) and we're much bigger clubs than Hull or Swansea anyway. There's more potential.

Albert said we should push on and make ourselves contenders for Europe. Southampton were contenders, Fulham have been contenders....we were contenders in the Premier League era.

What is the Premier League dream? Is a mid-table finish the best we can ever hope for? Because if it is, then I'm wondering what the hell I'm supposed to be lamenting about missing out on today.

We need to hear about whether the likes of Thorne, Wisdom and Bamford are to stay.

It'll be interesting.

Our midfield though, as it was this season, is something special and something that I feel the players should want to continue. We all saw what happened to Brayford, with a relegated side, and I would hate that to happen to any more of our players.

Getting Thorne and Wisdom back is all im wishing for this summer. any more additions is just a bonus. Also i think its important we keep Ward on again, he seems his old self again

Getting Thorne and Wisdom back is all im wishing for this summer. any more additions is just a bonus. Also i think its important we keep Ward on again, he seems his old self again

I really like Ward as a player, and between him, Russell, Dawkins and Bennett we may have all the quality we'll need for wingers. Even Coutts can play in that kind of role as well, so we should be able to focus elsewhere. I would look into having Bamford come back in some way as well though, but we'll see about that.

Thorne is a great player for his role, but I honestly don't think he'd work as well at many clubs. Here he would have a chance to cement himself in that role again next season, win promotion and make himself a Premier League fixture. It's too easy to get lost elsewhere if he chose to not come back, but ultimately it's up to him. He could really do something with his career here though.

Wisdom is another I do like the look of, and I think he could do a lot of good for his career coming back and finishing the job here. He's been offered freedom to develop other aspects of his game here, and as could be seen in his performance last night, he has developed a lot under McClaren. What's more is that he, even more than Thorne, has a real chance of getting lost in his parent team's squad, and that would be a mighty shame. In a day and age where Micah Richards can get lost in a Premier League outfit and not even register enough appearances to get his medal, it really puts into perspective the whole situation for some talented young players.

If Wisdom wasn't to come back though, I would hope the club seriously look at Brayford again, but we'll have to wait and see.

As for Europe, European qualification is 5th, 6th, 7th or from the cup, depending on the result of the cups. It can also be lower depending on various things from UEFA's end. Ultimately though if our goal isn't to challenge for Europe in the league, and through the cups, we might as well pack our bags and go home. The midfield we witnessed this season, given another season to develop in the Championship and under the guidance of McClaren, could well be one that seriously challenges in those respects in years to come, but we'll have to wait and see.

Archived