Possession debate about play-offs (split from match thread)

Ambitious

Did you expect to dominate Brighton? We aren't THAT good. They'd boss some PL sides in possession at home

Their pressing was impressive and forced us into faster attacks from deeper positions. The counter attacking game was forced on us to a certain extent. And it suited us. You know how quickly McClaren wants us to pass it in the opponents half.

Brighton are a possession side at home. They lacked penetration and played infront of us. Better than Forest did, but almost an identical tactical encounter.

I do agree with you to a certain extent.

We weren't good enough on the ball. We were sloppy so often and who wants to see that. No need to actually give them more of the ball. And we gave them a bit too much ground. Perhaps the occasion affected us. That was evident in the first half anyway and might explain why we did settle for the 2-1 after an hour.

My expectations of the game are irrelevant.

If you'd bothered to read the thread, you would have realised that I was merely taking exception with someone who said that we ripped Brighton to shreds.

The post to which you replied merely stated how the game went in the context of not ripping them to shreds.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My expectations of the game are irrelevant.

If you'd bothered to read the thread, you would have realised that I was merely taking exception with someone who said that we ripped Brighton to shreds.

The post to which you replied merely stated how the game went in the context of not ripping them to shreds.

...sorry

Expectations are everything.

I would call ripping to shreds putting in a dominant performance. 

We were not even close to being the dominant side against Brighton. Not even close.

I was impressed by our counter attacking play in the first half. I thought in the second half, we stopped counter attacking and decided to simply protect what we had. 

If we had won 12-0 and they didn't have a look in then we would have ripped them to shreds. 

Ok, define a dominant performance. We were utterly dominant against Yeovil yet barely got in behind their backline. I certainly wouldn't say we ripped them to shreds by any stretch...

I would say ripping a team to shreds would probably differ to your explanantion.

As you know, I watch most of Real Madrid's matches and at times their attackign trio rip teams to shreds. However, the team performance isn't particularly dominant in the way Barcelona dominate teams.

From that Brighton game, we weren't dominant in the slightest. Brighton controlled possession and pinned us back in the second half. Yet, our front three/four players at times (most first-half) ripped them to shreds on the counter.

When talking about possession you have to remind what kind it is.

Most of the championship defenders are pretty useless with the ball so if they have it on their side of the pitch, you're more than fine. Actually I'd base my tactics to that fact.

Luckily we have Bucko and therefore we are always dangerous...

Which if my hazy memory serves me right, is exactly how we used to play at Pride Park(less so at the Baseball ground) when McLaren was coaching us before

I agree with Bris. I thought we were generally really comfortable - I know Grant pulled of several great saves- and they couldn't cope with our pace on the break 

Archived