All The Best in Play-Offs; Burnley Fan

LordBeamish

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby have been by far the best of the teams in the play offs this season: vibrant going forward with some real quality - Thorne looked a class above in the Doncaster game on Good Friday.   I think you will get through OK for one reason - you seem to have a number of players capable of scoring spectacular goals from outside the box.  In tight play off games this is a god send.  Three of the four goals we scored in the play offs in 2008/9 were superb strikes in games of relatively few chances.  The other was a penalty but perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that!   Anyway, best of luck.

I'll go for   Brighton 1 Derby 2;    Derby 2 Brighton 0

Derby 2 QPR 0

Our incredible recent record against your lot, whilst in my mind, hasn't really influenced my feelings on this. Good runs come to an end. I thought ours might end once you rocked up without the bafflingly negative Nigel Clough at the helm. As it happens our run held up due to some dubious refereeing, naive defending from Hughes and(in fairness) some tidy play from us. 

We had a number of massive games this season but I have no doubt that our win at the Turf was the most pivotal. 

i agree, that should be have a penalty from trippiers trip, clearly took martins boot, but even if that wasnt one, then the ref should have allowed play on when we scored. a draw or win for us then would have made it much closer or even derby in second. however you continued to hold up even right to the end and never had a bad run, so hope to see you again next season.  

An important moment in both our seasons.  I think you were very unlucky with the sequence of events - no pen, disallowed goal, sending off -  but Martin had behaved like a man on a mission to get sent off up to that point (why???) and was obviously playing for a pen, which is probably why he didn't get one.    You had a fantastic run at the end of the season and there were a lot of nervous Clarets before we put Wigan away. Looking at what's coming down, I think you would be a very good bet for automatic next season if justice is not done in the play offs: Bryson very close to being Championship player of the year for me.

No guarantees though. If we stay down we could have our best assets picked. Or a couple of key injuries to a Championship squad can leave you quite a bit weaker.

I hope we don't stay down. It's too tight. Get us up and some money in the bank. Spend sensibly and then if we come down we might retain enough quality and a stronger squad to bounce back.

Derby have been by far the best of the teams in the play offs this season: vibrant going forward with some real quality - Thorne looked a class above in the Doncaster game on Good Friday.   I think you will get through OK for one reason - you seem to have a number of players capable of scoring spectacular goals from outside the box.  In tight play off games this is a god send.  Three of the four goals we scored in the play offs in 2008/9 were superb strikes in games of relatively few chances.  The other was a penalty but perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that!   Anyway, best of luck.

I'll go for   Brighton 1 Derby 2;    Derby 2 Brighton 0

Derby 2 QPR 0

First leg of the treble!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived