Hughes in frame for Reading but Hendrick was tremendous against Bolton he's nearest thing to Paul Scholes for me in the Championship.

Curtains

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really not sure with this one. 

If we play like we did against Burnley in quite a conservative manner, I think we could get exposed badly. 

I think we have to stick to what we know best so Hughes plays and Hendrick doesn't unfortunately. 

Back 5 usual.

Eustace

Bryson Hughes

Ward Martin Dawkins

I think if you leave out a DM, you not only lose the defensive attributes they bring, but I think you also lose the attacking influence of the other two midfielders as they don't feel free enough to push forward.

Playing Hendrick, Bryson and Hughes, we end up being neither here-nor-there to be honest. On paper, including Eustace (or Thorne) looks less attacking, but to me, it's actually the opposite as it releases Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick to go forward.

Hughes just behind Martin would work.

Not sure - they might get in each other's way a bit. Martin has a tendency to drop into the hole to pick up the ball and lay it off, so it might get  a bit crowded if Hughes is in there trying to pick it up as well. Worth a try though

Not sure - they might get in each other's way a bit. Martin has a tendency to drop into the hole to pick up the ball and lay it off, so it might get  a bit crowded if Hughes is in there trying to pick it up as well. Worth a try though

Trying to accommodate all your best players is difficult but no way can Mac drop Hendrick IMO and I think Hughes has to come in if fit. It's a toss up between Dawkins and Ward for the last spot. I'd opt for Dawkins to start tomorrow.

It doesn't work!

Thorne or Eustace has to play.

Seeing as that lineup hasn't been used as a central three this season in a game we have lost, how on Earth can you make such a statement?

Nah no way near. Against Milwall he was shocking. Paul Scholes actually creates Jeff is the master of the sideways and back pass. Before his injury he was immense scored a screamer against Port Vale in pre season, but since his injury he's struggled.

Name better midfielders in Championship than Derbys I'll give you Joey Barton and the Leicester lads

Trying to accommodate all your best players is difficult but no way can Mac drop Hendrick IMO and I think Hughes has to come in if fit. It's a toss up between Dawkins and Ward for the last spot. I'd opt for Dawkins to start tomorrow.

Clough continually made the mistake of trying to shoe-horn his best players into the starting XI and we ended up with Hughes playing on the left wing in a 4-4-2!

Hendrick did well against Bolton but if it's a choice between leaving him out or shaking up the formation just to accommodate him and Hughes, I'm afraid I'd bench him, with a view to bringing him on at some point if Hughes/Bryson aren't doing the business.

Absolutely agree about Dawkins. He looked very dangerous on Tues and seems to be the sort of player who needs a run of games to build his confidence.

Clough continually made the mistake of trying to shoe-horn his best players into the starting XI and we ended up with Hughes playing on the left wing in a 4-4-2!

Hendrick did well against Bolton but if it's a choice between leaving him out or shaking up the formation just to accommodate him and Hughes, I'm afraid I'd bench him, with a view to bringing him on at some point if Hughes/Bryson aren't doing the business.

Absolutely agree about Dawkins. He looked very dangerous on Tues and seems to be the sort of player who needs a run of games to build his confidence.

Good points but I'd play Hughes behind Martin feeding off his knock downs and bench Jamie although I like him and he did well also against Bolton.

Alternatively don't change team and leave Will on the bench because we did well against Bolton who had scored 11 goals in last 3 games before us.

If Wardy and Sammon had scored good chances we might go for that option as you shouldn't change a team playing well.

Hughes/Hendrick/Eustace started that. Bryson was coming back from injury and on the bench. Came on for Eustace for the last 20 mins though

10 men and Hughes played Burnley on side for there 2nd goal standing on goal line from their training ground corner.

ermmm does curtains win a prize for the longest forum title for this post?

prize?...a set of blinds perhaps.

Will Hughes can tackle better than Paul Scholes, but then again so can a worm, probably.

Nice one lol that's funny. Scholes scored great goals which Hendrick may never achieve but I'm talking about controlling a ball looking up passing it etc.

Scholes tackles were legendary. ie. AWFUL. Jeff does let the ball run past him just like Scholes and can change direction of play. ie he has time and creates space for himself in the crowded championship. Hendrick could play in Premier League I'm sure.

Name better midfielders in Championship than Derbys I'll give you Joey Barton and the Leicester lads

Not saying our midfield is average Hendrick was on fire before his injury but has lost his way. Dave Jones and Jordi Gomez are better technically. Jeff is still young and has the potential to be a top Championship player with his physicality. We'll have to wait who the Mac goes with but lets hope its a reverse of the home fixture. Was one of the most depressing matched at home this season. 

Archived