Brian remembered 10 years on. Can you help?

ladyram

Just to be clear, I never said he was a racist, I believe it is possible to make comments which can be construed as racist without actually being one.

Maybe the fact that there are so few positive posts speaks volumes? The measure of a man goes a lot further than what he does on a Saturday afternoon.

I bet you cheered when Longson stood up.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just stating a fact Ronnie.

I had no time for the man.

In my time he was only ever Forest manager and to be honest I found him a bit of a prat regardless of what he had done for DCFC in the past.

I never met the man and cant comment on what he was like, but growing up I only knew him as the forest manager.

Several of those years were dark times for the rams, and whilst I can respect the genius if the man, most of this came after he retired. I remember being stood on the colombo and the general feeling towards him being one not to dissimilar to Davies. Maybe this was just the age group at the time, and the fact we didnt have much to cheer about.

maybe this is why I dont get the love bond between nigel and the club, to me he was a ex forest player who fell out with them over the treatment of his dad rather than his undying love for the rams, to me he was just another derby manager (nigel that is)

Only my opinion :-)

my dad used to play sunday league and one game he played against South Normanton Colts i think it was, anyway Nigel was teen then and was playing for the Colts , at half time Brian walked in to my dads teams changing room stinking of Whiskey and gave my team a team talk 

I never met the man and cant comment on what he was like, but growing up I only knew him as the forest manager.

Several of those years were dark times for the rams, and whilst I can respect the genius if the man, most of this came after he retired. I remember being stood on the colombo and the general feeling towards him being one not to dissimilar to Davies. Maybe this was just the age group at the time, and the fact we didnt have much to cheer about.

maybe this is why I dont get the love bond between nigel and the club, to me he was a ex forest player who fell out with them over the treatment of his dad rather than his undying love for the rams, to me he was just another derby manager (nigel that is)

Only my opinion :-)

Completely mirrors my opinion.

Hence why I could never understand 'if his name wasn't Clough...blah blah blah' rubbish.

Never met Sir Brian, and never wanted to. There's something about meeting your heroes in real life where you are almost always left disappointed.

Hero though, he was. To me. He took my unfashionable, historic, small time, ignored, little club by the scruff of its neck and through sheer force of personality and skill put it on the centre stage of both UK and, for a while, European football. The (mostly positive) consequences of what he did live with us today.

As a human being he was clearly flawed - he became too big for his own boots both at Derby and elsewhere, was clearly affected by alcohol in his later years, probably wasn't that much of a loving father at times and he could be hypocritical - but he also demanded respect for authority, self discipline and football played on the ground amongst many qualities. On racist matters, don't forget that this was an era in which Love Thy Neighbour was required weekly family viewing.

It was often rocky but the time he had with us was special. I am just glad I was there to witness some of it.

my dad used to play sunday league and one game he played against South Normanton Colts i think it was, anyway Nigel was teen then and was playing for the Colts , at half time Brian walked in to my dads teams changing room stinking of Whiskey and gave my team a team talk

Sounds like he got the wrong dressing room?

Leicester City fan here, and this is my first post. I grew up in Loughbough in the 1950s, so had a choice of City, Forest, Derby and Notts County, though to be honest, the general feeling was that you would have to be odd to choose Derby - they had only just been promoted from the old Third Division North (look it up) having dropped like a stone from the top division in the previous five years or so.

Anyway, City was chosen for me when I was taken there with a mate of mine, and as most of you will know, once you are a fan of a particular team, it's like having genital herpes - you've got it for life. But I had mates who were Derby fans - largely because of family connections - as well as Florist mates (they came up with City in 1957 - my first season as a fan). Anyway, we used to take the p!ss out of the Rams, stuck down in the Second through the 1960s, as we went to Wemberlee three times (lost each time) and won the League Cup. Then in 1969, City went down, and Derby came up to the top tier to replace us. The manager at the time was a Mr Clough - and the rest is history.

I met him some time in the mid 70s at a corporate do - I have a feeling it was after he was sacked by Leeds and before he got the Florist job - and when I told him I was a City fan he told me to fvck off, in a quite unpleasant manner. I met him again at Leicester City in the late 1990s, when he came over to visit Martin O'Neill and John Robertson, who were having a lot of success at City then: he was drunk and quite nasty, although no-one seemed that bothered.

Two points. Firstly, he was an absolutely fantastic footballer in his day: a lot of people of my age fantasise about a 1962 England World Cup squad with Clough and the Busby Babes who died at Munich - would have been awesome. And he was a brilliant manager for Derby and for Forest.

OK, as a fellow human being, he was probably not the first person you would choose to invite round for dinner, and he clearly had all sorts of issues: but you could say that about lots of successful football managers (a certain former manager of Man United springs effortlessly to mind here). Clough did fantastic things for Derby, and it was a catastrophic mistake that Sam Longson made to let him go. For that reason, you guys should celebrate him and what he achieved.

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester City fan here, and this is my first post. I grew up in Loughbough in the 1950s, so had a choice of City, Forest, Derby and Notts County, though to be honest, the general feeling was that you would have to be odd to choose Derby - they had only just been promoted from the old Third Division North (look it up) having dropped like a stone from the top division in the previous five years or so.

Anyway, City was chosen for me when I was taken there with a mate of mine, and as most of you will know, once you are a fan of a particular team, it's like having genital herpes - you've got it for life.

I don't know which is worse - to be a Leicester fan or to have genital herpes. Only joking. In the mid 1970s I had a job where I had to ring a Leicester fan every day and we used to chat about our respective teams. After a few years it felt as if I knew as much about Leicester as I did Derby. It must be nice for you in the South of France sipping your wine and thinking about old games.

As for Brian Clough, I never met him, but I knew people who had. One guy who used to deliver wine - I think - told me that he was very difficult. This man, who had no interest in football, said Brian wouldn't sign for deliveries because he claimed the delivery man was only after autographs.

I met Tim Ward and he was a lovely man but nice people don't often win things.

I don't know which is worse - to be a Leicester fan or to have genital herpes. Only joking. In the mid 1970s I had a job where I had to ring a Leicester fan every day and we used to chat about our respective teams.

Respect.

I think the Samaritans do a splendid job.

Well done mate.

Respect.

I think the Samaritans do a splendid job.

Well done mate.

There was this day - "Suicide Sunday" they called it - when he received FIVE calls, and all five committed suicide.

These things happen, I know, but one of them was a wrong number.

I don't know which is worse - to be a Leicester fan or to have genital herpes. Only joking. In the mid 1970s I had a job where I had to ring a Leicester fan every day and we used to chat about our respective teams. After a few years it felt as if I knew as much about Leicester as I did Derby. It must be nice for you in the South of France sipping your wine and thinking about old games.

As for Brian Clough, I never met him, but I knew people who had. One guy who used to deliver wine - I think - told me that he was very difficult. This man, who had no interest in football, said Brian wouldn't sign for deliveries because he claimed the delivery man was only after autographs.

I met Tim Ward and he was a lovely man but nice people don't often win things.

It is nice being here in Sud de France, sipping red wine (well, not just yet - this evening) and it's not just thinking about old games at the moment. Lovely time to be a City fan, but it's been a bloody long wait!

Archived