George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

Maybe Thorne wants to play with a young, spirited and talented group of player that are going places sooner rather than later. 

In two years we will be finishing above you and players like Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick wont have even peaked. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Thorne wants to play with a young, spirited and talented group of player that are going places sooner rather than later. 

In two years we will be finishing above you and players like Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick wont have even peaked.

And you know that how? I could say exactly the same thing about WBA with the same credibility.

And you know that how? I could say exactly the same thing about WBA with the same credibility.

Maybe this is a pointless discussion which keeps going on and on and everyone's a bit bored now...

Can someone close this thread now til something actually happens?

We have no clue what will happen next season. But if you based it on last season... We are as likely to get promoted as you are relegated. So much time left until the end of August, any deal if happening could still be waiting until then! I hope to some god that this thread isn't still stuck in circles come then. 7 thousand pages of phallic comparing....lovely.

Thorne was sent to Derby to get match fit after he had been given a new three and a half year contract, no more and no less. He has never been offered for sale, will not be offered for sale and will not be joining Derby. What he wants doesn't matter one iota. Move on to the next target.

Thorne was sent to Derby to get match fit after he had been given a new three and a half year contract, no more and no less. He has never been offered for sale, will not be offered for sale and will not be joining Derby. What he wants doesn't matter one iota. Move on to the next target.

I think you will find that it does, slavery was abolished a few years ago.  Any footballer can walk away from any contract they want, you cannot restrict a persons right to choose what they want to do.

Really? He can sign a contract in January and walk away from it whilst West Brom still hold his registration with the FA?

Slavery? On twenty grand a week? Some slavery! A ridiculous comparison if you don't mind me saying so. He signed a binding contract of his own free will, slaves don't get that choice, slaves don't have agents to negotiate on their behalf.

If West Brom don't agree to sell him he is going nowhere, end of story.

If we push it we risk doing ourselves damage in the loan market. Bringing a player in on loan then trying to force his sale is not a great idea if we want to encourage other clubs to loan us their best young prospects.

Really? He can sign a contract in January and walk away from it whilst West Brom still hold his registration with the FA?

Slavery? On twenty grand a week? Some slavery! A ridiculous comparison if you don't mind me saying so. He signed a binding contract of his own free will, slaves don't get that choice, slaves don't have agents to negotiate on their behalf.

If we push it we risk doing ourselves damage in the loan market. Bringing a player in on loan then trying to force his sale is not a great idea if we want to encourage other clubs to loan us their best young prospects.

Yes, you keep that demotivated player on a long contract, and marvel at the apathy - shrewd business acumen!  No wonder you're already on the verge of relegation this season, especially with Sher(dead)wood at the helm. 

Do you honestly think that George Thorne, English, 21 year old, centre midfielder, 3 years on contract, probable future England international who has just showed startling form for a top 3 championship club would go for £1.5m?

Read my post. that what i think he is worth to us and where I would draw the line. If other clubs are willing to pay more than that then that he is what he is worth.

PS Claiming him as a future England international after just a handful of games is a little premature.

Yes, you keep that demotivated player on a long contract, and marvel at the apathy - shrewd business acumen!  No wonder you're already on the verge of relegation this season, especially with Sher(dead)wood at the helm. 

Accurate - apart from the fact that I am just a realistic lifelong Derby supporter who has been to West Bromwich just once in his life! West Brom want Thorne to stay and fight for his place, why wouldn't they after he signed a three and a half year deal five months ago? The lad let himself down by bleating to the press so soon after he committed his future to his club, especially after being out injured for a large part of last year. If Hendrick or Hughes did the same we would be on their case.Presumably he was motivated enough in January to take their money?

Accurate - apart from the fact that I am just a realistic lifelong Derby supporter who has been to West Bromwich just once in his life! West Brom want Thorne to stay and fight for his place, why wouldn't they after he signed a three and a half year deal five months ago? The lad let himself down by bleating to the press so soon after he committed his future to his club, especially after being out injured for a large part of last year. If Hendrick or Hughes did the same we would be on their case.Presumably he was motivated enough in January to take their money?

And the Mirror never lies :-)

If Derby doubled their bid why should West Brom accept it? They brought the lad on from the youth team and had enough faith in him to give him a long deal when he wasn't even match fit. Clearly they rate him, as they pointed out when he was allowed to join us on loan, and they don't need the money. There seems to be a school of though amongst Derby fans that Rush has only got to increase the bid and he is ours, we might just be disappointed. We should have plan B ready to go if we are.

Just curious, but I wonder how many Baggies came on here to tell us how wonderful Thorne was when we loaned him? Or how shocked they were that it took a while before he started, that we were wasting such a prodigious talent? Hmmm....

Just curious, but I wonder how many Baggies came on here to tell us how wonderful Thorne was when we loaned him? Or how shocked they were that it took a while before he started, that we were wasting such a prodigious talent? Hmmm....

Exactly.......They are offended that little "chumpionship Derby" are in for him. Nothing more nothing less!

Wrong, he's been with the club for 3 years so can break the contract.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/football-player-breaking-contracts.htm

Article 17 of the FIFA Transfer Regulations

Article 17 of the FIFA Transfer Regulations states that players can unilaterally cancel their contract with their club after a certain protected period has expired if an amount of compensation is paid to their original club.

What is the protected period?

For players under the age of 28 the protected period for their contract is three years, meaning they will be able to unilaterally terminate their contract when they are three years into it. For players over the age of 28 the protected period for their contract is two years, meaning they will be able to unilaterally terminate their contract when they are two years into it.

------------------------------

So basically he can leave and all WBA will get is a fee to pay for the cost of his development, and that will be set by a tribunal and you might get £750k.  Now we are offering to buy the player and for more than a tribunal will give you, the player has clearly indicated he wants to leave WBA.

Or do WBA have special dispensation to ignore the rules of both football and fundamental right of choice?

Maybe someone should tweet GT that....

Wrong, he's been with the club for 3 years so can break the contract.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/football-player-breaking-contracts.htm

Article 17 of the FIFA Transfer Regulations

Article 17 of the FIFA Transfer Regulations states that players can unilaterally cancel their contract with their club after a certain protected period has expired if an amount of compensation is paid to their original club.

What is the protected period?

For players under the age of 28 the protected period for their contract is three years, meaning they will be able to unilaterally terminate their contract when they are three years into it. For players over the age of 28 the protected period for their contract is two years, meaning they will be able to unilaterally terminate their contract when they are two years into it.

------------------------------

So basically he can leave and all WBA will get is a fee to pay for the cost of his development, and that will be set by a tribunal and you might get £750k.  Now we are offering to buy the player and for more than a tribunal will give you, the player has clearly indicated he wants to leave WBA.

Or do WBA have special dispensation to ignore the rules of both football and fundamental right of choice?

Maybe someone should tweet GT that....

Doesn't that mean after 3 years of the current contract though. Surely any extension signed is actually a new contract all together.

Archived