George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

Stubborness?

He's a product of the academy.

He's been loaned out to Posh and Pompey to build him up.

He was breaking into the first team before a crutiate knee ligament injury.

Loaned him out to Watford and yourselves for game time and fitness proving.

Signed a three year deal + one year option in the clubs favour (I think?)

He could well be our future captain.

I think he'll start for us next season but I guess we could loan him out again, though I'd be surprised.

I'd be amazed if we sold him though £4m might do it.

On the surface you're probably correct, but there are enough hints that there's something not right in the hierarchy of your club and the that the balance between treating your players as a person and treating them as a commodity seems to be one part of it being highlighted here, largely for the sake of one man's ego.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely agree, but that's been addressed while George has been away.

The club dropped a b*****k by putting a non-footballing man in a footballing role. The same man who push for poor Pepe Mel.

Pepe has gone, the clown has been sacked and a footballing man (Terry Burton) is in place.

George knows him well from his time with us when he assisted Roy.

I think the Mirror Journo has done a number on Thorne but WBA are hopefully able to see through that.

He had a great time with you, one of the highlights of his short career no doubt. Good relationship with coach and fans. Of course he's sad to leave.

I can also understand that he'd be reluctant to leave that behind and be a bench warmer for us, again I understand his statement, there's nothing to forgive IMO.

I expect to see Thorne start or at least be a matchday squad cert' next season with us.

I'll be disappointed if he's allowed to leave, but I expect that if he does go, it won't be on the cheap.

Absolutely agree, but that's been addressed while George has been away.

The club dropped a b*****k by putting a non-footballing man in a footballing role. The same man who push for poor Pepe Mel.

Pepe has gone, the clown has been sacked and a footballing man (Terry Burton) is in place.

George knows him well from his time with us when he assisted Roy.

I think the Mirror Journo has done a number on Thorne but WBA are hopefully able to see through that.

He had a great time with you, one of the highlights of his short career no doubt. Good relationship with coach and fans. Of course he's sad to leave.

I can also understand that he'd be reluctant to leave that behind and be a bench warmer for us, again I understand his statement, there's nothing to forgive IMO.

I expect to see Thorne start or at least be a matchday squad cert' next season with us.

I'll be disappointed if he's allowed to leave, but I expect that if he does go, it won't be on the cheap.

How has the Mirror journo done a number on Thorne?

The statement was pretty strongly worded, it's not like he was coerced into strong hints he wants a move away and had the pressure put on.

He said 'my heart is no longer at West Brom' and that can't be put down to misinterpretation. 

I think £1 million was on the highly optimistic side, don't think even Derby would have expected that to be accepted to be fair. Don't think a final decision will be made till a new manager is in place so not much point bidding until then really.

This is the ugly side of football, any decent owner/manager would sit down with George and find out why he wants to leave, try and work out where the club is and where the player is in terms of ambition and how his immediate future lies, and if after that GT wants to move to pastures new then so be it, and if he stays great, its been done with the interest of both parties involved.

It should not be turned into a circus and regardless of how well he played for us last season, his value has to be relevant to what he has achieved so far.

Bris mate i'm not going to get into an endless argument, but .....

The point is that Boro offered what they could afford and made a serious bid.

A bid of less than £1m to a premier league club is hardly going to do the job is it?

As for value, how much is will hughes worth?

How much is hendrick worth?

Assume they are on a 3 year contract

Would you take £950k?

No.

Hendrick and Hughes are invaluable first team players. George Thorne has a similar amount of Championship (and career) experience to Mark O'Brien, just chuck in a handful of Premier League games. Players with better records, similar age and more experience have gone for bids at that £1 mil mark from bigger clubs than West Ham. Unless West Brom are planning on playing him, I don't see any final price being that massive either.

Hi

Albion fan here and I have been reading the posts on this thread and would like to make the following observations;

WBA are not a selling club. We sold Long because he would not agree to the terms that we were prepared to offer.

We are waiting to appoint a Head Coach, not a manager. Terry Burton (Technical Director, appointed on 1st June 2014) is responsible for the players we acquire and sell, NOT the Head Coach. The statement yesterday was from Terry Burton

If we are open to offers for a player, then we will not dismiss it, take Chris Wood for example, http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-want-2million-379824)

Conversely, when we do not intend to sell, we make a statement as such, e.g. Graham Dorrans  http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/01/west-brom-west-ham-graham-dorrans   

Which one of the above two statements sounds like the one we released yesterday and where are Chris Wood and Graham Dorrans now?

Hi

Albion fan here and I have been reading the posts on this thread and would like to make the following observations;

WBA are not a selling club. We sold Long because he would not agree to the terms that we were prepared to offer.

We are waiting to appoint a Head Coach, not a manager. Terry Burton (Technical Director, appointed on 1st June 2014) is responsible for the players we acquire and sell, NOT the Head Coach. The statement yesterday was from Terry Burton

If we are open to offers for a player, then we will not dismiss it, take Chris Wood for example, http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-want-2million-379824)

Conversely, when we do not intend to sell, we make a statement as such, e.g. Graham Dorrans http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/01/west-brom-west-ham-graham-dorrans

Which one of the above two statements sounds like the one we released yesterday and where are Chris Wood and Graham Dorrans now?

What I'm struggling to relate to is why as an Albion fan you want to cling onto a player who has publically stated his disinterest at returning to you?! If tables were turned I can't say I'd feel the same.

I think Albion can release as many 'statements' as they like, if Thorne is set on moving he'll find a way to get released.

As with all relationships once one of you wants out it's only a matter of time.

Hi

Conversely, when we do not intend to sell, we make a statement as such, e.g. Graham Dorrans  http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/01/west-brom-west-ham-graham-dorrans   

In answer to that we ourselves have a head coach and our CEO is

responsible for signing and selling players very similar apart from jobtitle. The ways the relationship works in football is the coach and the scouts come up with who they would like in and out  this is then passed on to the CEO in our case or technical director in yours.They then go about sorting out a deal if possible if not they move on to the next on the list.

Being have you do not have a head coach to provide him with a list then the only response is no sale unless the offer is so good the directors take it out of the hands of said negoiators.Now this could progress either way when the coach is appointed for he may not want a disillusioned player in his squad so says sell or not.

A player always gets his own way.

Wayne Rooney is a prime example of making abit of noise and getting a mega bucks contract on the table.

Wish WBA would pipe down and just grant him permission, why pay a players wage if he isn't interested in the cause? No disrespect to WBA, but you have no manager, next to no players and the ones you do have seem to want out. Hardly a club who are in a stable position is it?

Why I would like to keep hold of him? Because he is proving to be a player with an ability to spot and more importantly, pull off a defence splitting pass and has the potential to become a very good player. If he continues to improve then his value will go one way only.

He needs to knuckle down and work for his position in the side, just like all players in every squad.

In answer to that we ourselves have a head coach and our CEO is

responsible for signing and selling players very similar apart from jobtitle. The ways the relationship works in football is the coach and the scouts come up with who they would like in and out  this is then passed on to the CEO in our case or technical director in yours.They then go about sorting out a deal if possible if not they move on to the next on the list.

Being have you do not have a head coach to provide him with a list then the only response is no sale unless the offer is so good the directors take it out of the hands of said negoiators.Now this could progress either way when the coach is appointed for he may not want a disillusioned player in his squad so says sell or not.

We have no need to sell him now. We could loan him out again for a further 12 months and if he improves, then his value will increase.

George Thorne will be a Derby player next season. I'm sure of it. Especially if Sherwood becomes manager, he won't accept comments like that. A very abrupt manager who isn't scared of dropping anybody. 

Anyway. 

On Sherwood, how about this for a (un)likely scenario.

West Brom sign Tom Carroll, a player Sherwood tried desperately to bring back to Spurs in January and said he is good enough for Barcelona, therefore leaving the door open for us to sign Thorne.

It'll be at least a couple of months for WBA fans to work out Carroll is absolute garbage, and Thorne will help us achieve promotion.  :D

Yet the point remains he doesn't like you anymore so why are you clinging on? Bad move sending him to Derby, he got to see how a club should be run and loved it. Your clubs attitude stinks of desperation and petty mindedness. Have you no dignity?

Why I would like to keep hold of him? Because he is proving to be a player with an ability to spot and more importantly, pull off a defence splitting pass and has the potential to become a very good player. If he continues to improve then his value will go one way only.

He needs to knuckle down and work for his position in the side, just like all players in every squad.

So you want to keep him to then sell him? We want to have him to keep him.

Yet the point remains he doesn't like you anymore so why are you clinging on? Bad move sending him to Derby, he got to see how a club should be run and loved it. Your clubs attitude stinks of desperation and petty mindedness. Have you no dignity?

Dignity?  You mean like Derby have been with blatant tapping up in the press? "We have his number"  You call that dignified?

Archived