George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

Not posted for about 200 or so pages(!) so I thought I'd make an appearance, as I have had plenty of time to reflect on the situation and have come to the following conclusion....

My gut feeling now is that he will be your player by the time the transfer window closes. Our biggest chance of him changing his mind and knuckling down would have been after meeting Irvine and hearing his plans. If Irvine had been successful in convincing him to stay, I am sure there would have been a statement from one, or all of, Irvine, WBAFC, or Thorne himself.

The delay will simply be down to Peace trying to extract as much money out of your chairman as possible. After the Odemwingie saga, and all of the other problems we have had over the last 12 months with so called 'bad apples' in the camp, I cannot imagine for a minute that if Thorne is THAT unhappy that we will force him to stay. There is a long time to go before the transfer window closes, so at this point there is no need or pressure on Peace to accept anything other than top dollar for Thorne, especially as he will know that he is you main summer target. Likewise, I your chairman will at the moment feel under little pressure to offer top dollar for a player who effectively is of not much use to us. The longer time goes on, the more likely one of them is to give in to the others demands. The other possible reason for the silence at the moment, is maybe our Chairman is touting Thorne around other clubs in an effort to start a bidding war / scare Derby into paying up just to get the deal done before another club comes in.

No one knows for sure whats going on, but as far as I am concerned you should all relax as I'm pretty sure that a deal WILL be done.

With regards to this monstrosity of a thread....wow!

I have never seen anything like it - so many grown men, getting so excited for such a period of time over a player who outside of West Bromwich and Derby, is probably unheard of! The comments I have read on here about how people are addicted to the thread, how its taking over their lives, people pulling over mid journey to check the thread, numerous people detailing how they are going to make a mess in their pants if / when he signs etc etc are both hilarious and almost unbelievable. On one hand I guess I could make a point of how sad it sounds, and that you all really ought to get out more BUT there is one thing that is in abundance on this thread and that is passion, passion & more passion for the club that you love. Fair play to you all - proper fans.

Irrespective of how the Thorne saga pans out, I sincerely wish you all the best for next season.

Boing Boing

You can stay, but only if you banish a couple of the others.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not posted for about 200 or so pages(!) so I thought I'd make an appearance, as I have had plenty of time to reflect on the situation and have come to the following conclusion....

My gut feeling now is that he will be your player by the time the transfer window closes. Our biggest chance of him changing his mind and knuckling down would have been after meeting Irvine and hearing his plans. If Irvine had been successful in convincing him to stay, I am sure there would have been a statement from one, or all of, Irvine, WBAFC, or Thorne himself.

The delay will simply be down to Peace trying to extract as much money out of your chairman as possible. After the Odemwingie saga, and all of the other problems we have had over the last 12 months with so called 'bad apples' in the camp, I cannot imagine for a minute that if Thorne is THAT unhappy that we will force him to stay. There is a long time to go before the transfer window closes, so at this point there is no need or pressure on Peace to accept anything other than top dollar for Thorne, especially as he will know that he is you main summer target. Likewise, I your chairman will at the moment feel under little pressure to offer top dollar for a player who effectively is of not much use to us. The longer time goes on, the more likely one of them is to give in to the others demands. The other possible reason for the silence at the moment, is maybe our Chairman is touting Thorne around other clubs in an effort to start a bidding war / scare Derby into paying up just to get the deal done before another club comes in.

No one knows for sure whats going on, but as far as I am concerned you should all relax as I'm pretty sure that a deal WILL be done.

I have never seen anything like it - so many grown men, getting so excited for such a period of time over a player who outside of West Bromwich and Derby, is probably unheard of! The comments I have read on here about how people are addicted to the thread, how its taking over their lives, people pulling over mid journey to check the thread, numerous people detailing how they are going to make a mess in their pants if / when he signs etc etc are both hilarious and almost unbelievable. On one hand I guess I could make a point of how sad it sounds, and that you all really ought to get out more BUT there is one thing that is in abundance on this thread and that is passion, passion & more passion for the club that you love. Fair play to you all - proper fans.

Irrespective of how the Thorne saga pans out, I sincerely wish you all the best for next season.

Boing Boing

Now that's more like the WBA fans that I know. Proper football fans of a proper football club. See you in the Greed League in 12 months time fella....

Not one to blow my own trumpet but i'm the one you've all been waiting for, i am indeed ITK.

I can confirm that Derby are interested in West Brom's George Thorne on a permanent deal after his impressive displays whilst on loan.

You aren't forced to believe me but you will see in due course.

Boing Boing

This thread is a laugh. Nobody is neglecting their wives and nobody is going to actually make a mess of their pants when he signs. We certainly aren't getting withdrawals if they don't check the thread every 5 minutes. That is exaggerated....

...I could stop whenever I want, I just don't want to  :ph34r:

I'm not going to insult anyones intelligence by implying that they are taking this thread seriously, but the excitement comes from the fact that Thorne's position in the team is the last vital spot to fill. We could do with a backup winger and a backup striker, but without Thorne or another deep-lying CM, we're relying on 35 year old John Eustace and possibly Jamie Hanson- a youngster who hasn't made his professional debut yet. I don't know if you baggies watched the Play Off Final, but a robbery like that in the 89th minute does some crazy things to even the most grounded football fan (those of you who were there in 2007 know this is true) As fans, we are desperate to make the upcoming season count after last years disappointments.

Imagine if Lukaku had stated that he had his heart set on West Brom and nobody else shortly after his loan spell with you. And then that had dragged out and become as much of a saga as this had become. Wouldn't you have been desperate to sign him? Obviously, we're talking two different classes of player with those two, but the principle is the same.

Maybe taking what your own players say with a pinch of salt is what got your club in this situation in the first place? Maybe your management issues over the last 12 months hasn't helped with some of your players becoming disillusioned? My point is that a lot of the blame for this situation from your fans is being heaped on GT and DCFC, what about WBA?

Derby have had bid turned down, Thorne transfer request turned down. I don't see the need to attach blame anywhere

Boing Boing

Proper post, congratulations. Have been chatting to a Prem agent friend who... although knows nothing of this particular saga! assures me that we are in safe hands with SR at the helm.

Before he left for Man City I met and chatted to Tom Glick quite a few times. I also got introduced to others. A quote I have been given this evening directly from someone very senior is "Mal, we would still love to sign him of course but it can't be at ANY price."

No more no less. Please form your own opinions.

If this is true it would tell me that we're nowhere near closing the deal yet, it could run for the rest of the summer, we may not sign him at all and he's almost sure to be on the plane tomorrow.

Makes me sad but also less desperate for an answer this week. So thanks for sharing

Managed to stay away for two hours. That's a personal best for me. At least I haven't pulled into a lay-by this time.

Oh my days. Lay-by my arse! Lmao.

Actually Aston villa are our main rivals, couldn't care less about the dogheads

Reckon if you ask any Villa fan who their main rivals are, they would say Birmingham City. You are to Villa what Leicester are to the Rams - of no real consequence!

Before he left for Man City I met and chatted to Tom Glick quite a few times. I also got introduced to others. A quote I have been given this evening directly from someone very senior is "Mal, we would still love to sign him of course but it can't be at ANY price."

No more no less. Please form your own opinions.

Without context, that could mean literally anything. Tells us very little.

Thanks for sharing though, of course.

Archived