The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed

Imagine how they feel in rugby. I work in leicester and they're spitting feathers every time they win the league by a mile and then loose in the play offs.

Although I kind of wished that rule existed in football now. If there's going to be a play off, might as well include 1st and 2nd as well. That would wipe the smile off the bin dippers faces.

The playoffs hold no real fear for us. There's far less pressure on us than Forest to progress through them. Plus you look at the respective Managers in that situation - who's had the better 'big game' experience? Davros with his one Wembley appearance, or McClaren who's won a national title abroad, the League Cup, and got Middlesborough of all sides to a Uefa Cup final?

Lets look at the table when both us and Forest had played 17 games

Leicester   38

Burnley      35

QPR           35

Blackpool   31

Derby         28  

Reading     28

Forest        27

And now

Leicester    67     (30)

Burnley        56

QPR           56     (28)

Derby         52

Forest        51

Reading     47       (30)

Ipswich      43        (30)

In other words us and Forest have matched points (despite their unbeaten 12 game run)

If we both win our next two matches we would have closed on QPR and Burnley by 6 points (but QPR have a game in hand on us both and Burnley need to lose on Tuesday for this to be the case)

In short the only real change in form since the start of December is that reading and Blackpool have picked up less points than the both of us over the last 12 league games despite playing more games than us, and Burnley and QPR haven't been as consistent as us either.

^^ So, same number of points achieved, but under totally different circumstances. Us, with our free-flowing and cosmopolitan "attack attack attack" football, and Forest with their hoofball nick-a-goal-and-hang-on-for-dear-life "defend defend defend" football?

Hmmm.

I'd rather play the way that we do and risk the odd defeat when we try to get the win, rather than shutting up shop and grinding out single points.

The playoffs hold no real fear for us. There's far less pressure on us than Forest to progress through them. Plus you look at the respective Managers in that situation - who's had the better 'big game' experience? Davros with his one Wembley appearance, or McClaren who's won a national title abroad, the League Cup, and got Middlesborough of all sides to a Uefa Cup final?

I don't think there is any more pressure as I think Davies will be here next season whatever happens in the play-offs.

I don't think there is any more pressure as I think Davies will be here next season whatever happens in the play-offs.

I'd disagree there I think. We weren't expected to be anywhere near the playoffs. Nigel and Sam Rush might have made positive noises at the start of the season, but most thought that highly optimistic. If we fail, it's not the end of the world. Forest on the other hand appear to be gambling the farm on going up - you're losing how much per month on the cusp of FFP coming in?

Evening from Bastion chaps, I can confirm this place is as rubbish as I thought it would be and we've even had snow here in the last week. In the desert - what's up with that??

Just like to add I think despite all the bickering we all know how the season is going to end. Both clubs in the playoff positions, and I don't hold much hope for either. Particularly not us with out history in them. Let's not go there.

I think QPR will beat you tomorrow (?). A derby win would probably suit us best to be fair. A QPR win and that's them 8 points ahead of us.. won't catch that..

Evening from Bastion chaps, I can confirm this place is as rubbish as I thought it would be and we've even had snow here in the last week. In the desert - what's up with that??

Just like to add I think despite all the bickering we all know how the season is going to end. Both clubs in the playoff positions, and I don't hold much hope for either. Particularly not us with out history in them. Let's not go there.

I think QPR will beat you tomorrow (?). A derby win would probably suit us best to be fair. A QPR win and that's them 8 points ahead of us.. won't catch that..

You play QPR soon too - keeping them close puts pressure on them when you play

I'd disagree there I think. We weren't expected to be anywhere near the playoffs. Nigel and Sam Rush might have made positive noises at the start of the season, but most thought that highly optimistic. If we fail, it's not the end of the world. Forest on the other hand appear to be gambling the farm on going up - you're losing how much per month on the cusp of FFP coming in?

Rented farm ,Staffs rented farm.

To be fair, I hope Forest can stay unbeaten in the next few games, as they play Burnley. Whatever Forest are, they are strong enough to do is a few favours against QPR and Burnley.

In fact, they can go unbeaten for the rest of the season for all I care. It still won't get them above us, as long as we keep winning more than we loose or draw, and it might just help us into second (or even first, you never know).

According to your own club's fixture list, Forest's last 12 league games have been: Millwall (A) D Sheff W (A) W Ipswich (H) D Birmingham (A) D QPR (H) W Leeds (H) W Reading (A) D Bolton (A) D Blackburn (H) W Watford (H) W Yeovil (H) W Blackpool (A) D Note that you have won 1 and drawn 5 of your last 6 away. Anyway, that gives you W6, D6 - a total of 24 points, scoring 21 and conceding 10. Derby's last 12 league games were Middlesbrough (H) W Blackpool (H) W Charlton (A) W Doncaster (H) W Huddersfield (A) D Barnsley (A) W Wigan (H) L Leicester (A) L Brighton (H) W Blackburn (A) D Yeovil (H) W Birmingham (A) D Giving us the same 24 points over the same period of 12 games, so I should have said 'picked up no less points'. You have shaded us on goal difference though, because in the last 12 games Derby have scored 24 and conceded 17. You would have actually arrived at the magic 24 if you had been able to add up your own figures - look at Derby's away results - 2W + 3D + 1L = 6 + 3 + 0 = 9. So in conclusion we can safely say 'no, it wasn't true, but it was a darned sight more true than your version of the truth'. But then again, you are from Nottingham, the city famous for giving the world lung cancer, whereas Derby gave the world factories and meaningful work.
Don't forget you get 4 point for a win against top 6 teams and only 2 pts for a win against bottom 6 ;)

Don't forte you get 4 point for a win against top 6 teams and only 2 pts for a win against bottom 6 ;)

The 2 points against bottom sides isn't something you guys need to consider that often then.

Archived